Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Burning capabilities depend on wavelength?

Hi,

I have these two lasers:

1. O-like cute 250mw red, 660nm, which is actually around 210mw (peak 217mw).

2. O-like 200-220mw IR, 808nm, which is actually around 200mw (peak 202mw).

So I consider the two lasers similar in power.

Nevertheless, there are huge differences in burning capabilities between them.

While the cute red is a good burner and can light a match three meters distance, the IR can hardly do it 20cm distance.

Since the power of the lasers has been measured and verified, obviously it's not a power issue.

So there comes my question: Is wavelength that matters?

Does 808mn wavelength have low burning capabilities?

TIA

Last edited:

wavelength does matter. but the odds are your ir has bad beam characteristics.

michael.

This spesific IR is focusable, and when focused, still has low burning capabilities.

Trevor

It depends on the absorption spectra of what you're trying to burn. If it absorbs one better than the other, there's part of your problem.

Another issue in play here is photon energy. Our 405nm lasers are the best "burners" because the high-energy photons are absorbed by most things. They'll be king until the next generation of optical media comes out with deep UV emitters...

-Trevor

:thanks:Trevor.

Your explanation does make sense. When I switched to a different type of matches, I noticed an improvement in the burning capabilities although the red laser is still way a better burner.

Probably the other type of matches absorbs the IR better than the previous matches.

I find issues like this fascinating, thus making me spend more and more money on lasers (in different wavelength) and laser accessories...

Last edited: