Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Built Daedal's driver, now some questions

First question, after I got it all together I threw it on my analog volt meter, and it showed it was adjusting from ~51mA to ~500mA. In the tutorial thread it was posted that with 2 10ohm resistors I should get just over 300mA max, did I build it wrong or am I reading the VM wrong?

Second, what will be the best diode to hook up to this, assuming I want a red burning laser? I have some LD's I pulled out of an LG burner but I could unsolder the PCB board off the back and reading these boards I probably used too much heat and burned them out. I've got another drive I can harvest from but I would rather not waste a good DVD burner if I can buy something cheaper/easier online.

Third, how hard is it to make a PCB board for this to go on? Mine is just wires connecting everything right now, like I said it works but it isn't pretty and isn't going to fit in a reasonable sized project box as is.

Hey i am pretty new here but i could probably start to help answer your questions...

1) I dont understand why it is bad to have a bigger range. It may be harder to dial in to the perfect mA but im not sure

2) Well the diode i am using for my project is a senkat diode. I was too lazy to put it in an aixiz module so i got it pre-installed in the aixiz module. you can get that here --> h t t p :/ /stonetek. org/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=67&products_id=192 (you have to take out all the spaces...there are some between http and 1 between the two foward slashes and one between stonetek. and org thats it)

3) Mine was wires too, but if you want it in a compact area i would suggest getting a rkcstr driver...(you can get those at stonetek too...) Or if you want to use a project box you could just take your circuit now and put it on a smaller area. (my first one was on a breadboard...i just soldered all the connections underneath..i had lots of wire)

well i made the same driver and i got a kinda blank printed circuit board for raid shack like it has 2 copper strips in a row an the a couple little striipp of therr orked out great i will post a pick
the whit line on it is wear it i printed
IMG_1538.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1537_001.JPG
    IMG_1537_001.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 111
Well first with 2x 10 ohm resistors you should get 250ma max.
Second was this under load or just hooked to your DMM?
Third what pot did you use as it may have shorted out at the higher level?
Answer these and ask more I am glad to help all I can.
And looking good laserman!

No load, just hooked to my VM. The pot I used was what is described in Daedal's thread, not sure exactly which as the link to radio shacks website is down.

D

D.S.Darkness

well, i just made the same driver bout a week ago, and ya when its not under load you can get about 500ma but if you put it under load, like hooking a christmas light to it, it drops to about 170ma, so depending on the LD you use will determine what kind of range you'll want.

-- I too used the same DIY driver instructions, and if you followed it to the point you probably have the huge honkin pot like me lol xD, i should down size but w/e

-- im currently using a 9 volt battery on my board, so it may vary from yours depending on your power supply

laserman55 said:
well i made the same driver and i got a kinda blank printed circuit board for raid shack like it has 2 copper strips in a row an the a couple little striipp of therr orked out great i will post a pick
the whit line on it is wear it i printed
Image...
Hey - is there a link to that on the radioshack website, or do you know its name?