Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Building my first high-power laser...with a twist.

I've been doing so much reading on here the last couple of days, it's got the geek in me working overtime! That said, I've decided I'm going to build my first high-power laser. Naturally, I don't do anything half-assed, so I've decided it's going to be a Star Trek TNG phaser with adjustable power...a) because I'm a huge Trekkie and b) because I can! There are plenty of them on Ebay that I can use for a host.

It looks like about the maximum I'll be able to do is about 300mW via a 660nm diode...with Meredith AR glass, hopefully a bit more. 635nm would be ideal for a more accurate color, but it doesn't look like people get the same power out of them. Essentially, I want it to be a "functioning" phaser...capable of burning when the power is up. I could probably get more burning power with a blu-ray or green diode, but it wouldn't be true to the "real" thing.

So, there it is. Now I just have to get busy sourcing the parts. My budget is $150 or less.

An LPC in a Meredith with their glass lens at 420ma will give you gobs of power. Good luck on your build!

ZheolD

please post pics when your done bud i'm a trekkie also so would love to see your finished product and good luck!

I'd suggesting getting a dvd burner, as high speed as you can. 20x and above have the most powerfull diodes. If you have trouble getting one, buy a sled offa:
Modwerx.com
10 $
there was a discount cupon LPF15 donno if it still is.
Next you need (but you already know this don't you?) Aixiz module, and a current regulator. Since you will be using heck of a host, you might as well go for the cheapest solution, LM317 aka DDL driver.
One thing : 635 nm diodes are fairly expensive, and are generaly not powerfull.
And there is no such thing as a green diode. Green laser light is produced in a different way, or in other words, you have to buy complete module and just hook it up to a battery.
So, if ya' have any other questions feel free to PM me, I've build countless reddies so far, sold a few and got me self a new touchscreen cellphone, so yeah you can say it pays off... :D
Have fun, and most of all, BE SAFE!