Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Building a scanner.

dnar

I have built a 2 stepper scanner using 200 step steppers.

When I get back home (working away currently) I plan to document the project. I am using an Arduino to drive the steppers, I have also ordered Alaegro stepper controllers that provide up to 1/16th microstepping.

I managed to get some very good beam effects using blanking. You can't acheive the same effects as with Galvo's, you have to work within the constrains of steppers. The steppers I used came from sparkfun (12V bipolar) they have minimal over-shoot.

Stay tunes.

well i made a thread about that a while ago,
Its not super hard the hardest part was picking the motors and controller but building it was the fun part.

yup but a warning for you.
i can do wood and aluminum, but i would advise you use it on them for art purposes.
Depending on how good you are at building one needing it to cut perfectly just wont happen.
But it is amazing for circuit boards. the small shake my old machine did never screw up a board.
it did straight lines perfectly but when it was doing circles they sometimes looked a bit off. nothing huge but some sanding was needed.
if you want to talk about it further its fine to necro post the thread.

Heh, if I build one, it'd likely be all aluminum and have something more substantial than a dremel for a cutter.

Though I think my goal would be heatsinks. So it would have to be able to deal with aluminum and copper.

well mine was able to do wood, in some cases wood can be much much harder than copper and aluminum.
Also for your cutting tool a 1hp plunge router will do almost everything you need, ever even on the hardest wood.
but for most people you will want between a 1/4 and 1/2 just for space and weight.
buy the cutting motor last.
http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/rotary-tools/flexible-shaft-grinder-and-carver-40432.html
things with these flex shafts help keep the head light.
build the machine and try the 1/4 if it works your good if it does not return it and go for the 1/2 and so on.
I would have built mine out of aluminum but i did not have access to a welder.
You can make these very stable with no wobbel.
Dont use any type of drawer slides for the love of god.
i learned my lesson try the steel corner bars with skate bearings.
i say go with steel over aluminum they will last forever.
if you want some links i will see if i can dig them up again.

Last edited: