Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Building a 445nm in a 501b Host

Hey everyone,

I have been looking around and considering buying lasers for a while, but I think I might rather build one.

I found this host, and I think I would definitely want to use it:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/p...-add-module-w-driver-starting-20ea-83813.html

The description there says it is "Plug-N-Burn," and from what I can understand that means I need to buy a module with the diode AND driver already installed. If that is correct, I will need to buy one of these two modules from DTR, correct?

Screen_Shot_2014_02_28_at_10_06_17_AM.png
e

If that's what I need to get to work with the host, how would I go about hooking it up? Is there anything special I need to know before buying these two things?

I am not very familiar with building lasers, and I couldn't find too much info on building a 445nm in one of these "plug-n-burn" 501b hosts.

Thanks for any help in advance!

PS: I found the thread about safety glasses for 445nm lasers, and I'll be picking those up too ;)

from my understanding your going to solder the 2 leads from that diode to the 2 leads coming out of host. the experts will correct me if I'm wrong

from my understanding your going to solder the 2 leads from that diode to the 2 leads coming out of host. the experts will correct me if I'm wrong

That's what I was thinking. So I would just solder the wires together then slide the module into the host?

This is probably a question for the host builder (I'll PM him), but will the module just be a friction fit? And then the batteries would slide in the back of the host?

Thanks again.

EDIT: I'm just confusing myself and everyone else, I think. I just need to know how I would have to assemble the host and the module once I get them both. Does the host come with the heat sink and everything pre-installed, so I can just solder the wires and slide it in? Or do I need to do some more assembly with it? Sorry if I sound like a n00b (I am a n00b to lasers) but I hope someone can help me. :yh:

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Adam, IIRC, the 501B uses (1) 18650 battery, your diode/driver requires 6.0V - 12.6V to operate. You're going to need either (2) 16340, or (2) 18350 batteries to provide enough voltage.
Also, be sure to use some heatshrink tubing on your soldered wires.
The module should slip right into the heatsink, then just snug up the set screw with the wrench.
Be sure to install the batteries with the proper orientation.

Last edited: