Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Build comps?

dnar

Hi,

Do you guys ever run forum comps? If not, why don't we give it a try?

It bugs me to see all of the laser sites I frequent suddenly shift towards the holy grail of 445nm, burning stuff etc. while the broader range of laser related experiments and tinkerings appear to be less frequent.

I have some ideas:

• Comp runs for an arbitary time, say 2 weeks.
  • Theme based comps with a few minimum requirements, ie. must use a,b,c & x, must be housed in y (could be anything), must do z etc.
  • Build restrictions (just like in racing) to give all a chance, not just those with greater resources.
  • Some arbitary prize, be it rep points, laser related prize donated by other members.
  • Voting by poll by any registered board members.

Some of these ideas are to promote equal opportunity and allow the pros, newbies and all in between to compete head to head all in the name of a bit of fun. I am sure this could be a good educational experience for many.

My suggestion to get going would be a PC case mode with any form of laser movement, PC must function (rules out Vista lol). Mod MUST be safe. Laser type and wavelength open. Winning mod must be easily achieved by newbie and pro alike.

I thought you were talking of building computers till halfway through.

It would be near impossible to verify anything, it would all have to go on looks and photography skills.

dnar

I sense a level of distrust for your fellow LPF members?

Another idea, make it a weekly laser photography comp?

So what if people cheat/post stock images? I am sure you will be able to detect these. Either way, could be fun.

It might just snap everyone out of the "Pied Piper" trance that 445 has them in. Just imagin it, hundreds of thousands of laserists around the world putting down their 445 at the same time. A brazillion burning matches extinguish simultaneously... :whistle: