Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Build a laser out of a DVD burner

Squee

Heyho!

i found a video on youtube, that shows how your can build a laser out of an DVd burner. (search "laser flashlight hack", can't post links, yet)

Now i wanted to ask if it is also possible to buy a cheap 532nm / 5mw laser and a 16x DVD burner and reset the laser of the laserpointer with the laser of the DVD burner. And if it's possible: How many mw does such a DVD laser have?

Thank you

(I'm sorry if there are any mistakes in the gramma or something, i'm from germany)

*** I'm sorry, i just read the FAQ and found the topic about that video. well, but i didn't ever want to follow his video, i dont want to "hack a flashlight", i want to hack a laser so - is it possible?
thanks

daguin

Squee said:
Heyho!
i found a video on youtube, that shows how your can build a laser out of an DVd burner. (search "laser flashlight hack", can't post links, yet)
Now i wanted to ask if it is also possible to buy a cheap 532nm / 5mw laser and a 16x DVD burner and reset the laser of the laserpointer with the laser of the DVD burner. And if it's possible: How many mw does such a DVD laser have?
Thank you
(I'm sorry if there are any mistakes in the gramma or something, i'm from germany)

What you are asking is POSSIBLE, but not worth the effort.  You would basically be replacing everything inside the pointer anyway.

Read through the tutorials board herein.  You will find much easier ways to build a "burnin' laser"

Peace,
dave

An easier, cheaper solution than buying a green pointer and a dvd drive, and to do all the work required, might be to buy the DX 200 red. Since you're from Germany, the US only shipping ban does not apply.

If you really want to make your own, and it must be a 2 x AAA size pointer, a red pointer from z-bolt might be a cheaper host than buying a green pointer. You'd need a driver, perhaps rkcstr, and lithium batteries (10440 is AAA size) to have enough voltage for the driver and diode. Not an easy build, but could be done. The laser when completed should easily exceed 200mw.

Something tells me he doesn't own safety goggles/glasses yet..... Get those first....

<--- Or suffer the Peep's fate, you will.