Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Buiding my first laser, need help!

luccax

I readed a lot and decided to assemble my first laser. I really liked HighTechDealz since i'm allways bugging kendall and he allways answers me, hes really a great seller...

Check out what i'll try to do and tell me if it's going to work out please!!
These will be the parts:

- 405nm PHR803T Blu Ray Laser in Aixiz Module
HighTechDealZ - 405nm PHR803T Blu Ray Laser in Aixiz Module

- MXDL flashlight for hosting the laser
HighTechDealZ - MXDL 3AAA 5W Flashlight

- Heatsink
Do i need it?

- O-like's 405nm blu-ray laser diode driver
405nm blu-ray laser diode driver [OLBVD20] - $6.59 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

- O-like's glasses for 405nm
405nm,445nm,808nm,1064nm safety goggles/200-450,800-2000nm [OLLS1064] - $45.99 : Welcome to O-Like.com, Your source for laser products

That's it, any advices? Do you know cheaper stores to buy this items? I am still in university so i need to spend the less possible..

horhay

the phr is a great first build. your driver has had some difficulty in the past regarding hooking it up- this review should put you on the right track. the MXDL is available cheaper on dealextreme, but the shipping can be a bitch. a heatsink isnt CRUCIAL for a phr (you could get by with some washers or aluminum foil to be honest. but it would look like poo.), just highly recommended; but you cannot secure the module without some sort of structure, and jayrob offers some REALLY nice, proffessional-looking heatsinks to hold it in place, while offering longer runtimes.

ermm... i don't think you need multi-wavelength goggles... i use these focalprice ones. they work fine for these powers, but still don't shine it in your eyes. they get the job done. just. be. careful.

good luck! my first build was a PHR, it was so much fun :D

luccax

Dude i'm kinda affraid of using this glasses you sent me! haha... they are too cheap!

Can i really trust them? I know i have two eyes, but...

I'll buy them anyways and avoid using the laser indoor, so i won't get any reflection directly on my eyes!!

KENDALL, THE MXDL is sold out !! =/ what am i going to do now?!

I'll buy all the other stuff and try another site for the flashlight

luccax

Do i need a Aixiz 405nm Coated Glass Lens for my laser?

Last edited:
You don't need it, I'm using the stock Aixiz lense. The Glass one just gives you slightly more power output.

luccax

Instead of buying a building kit of $38 can i buy just a heatsink on HTD for the MXDL? It's $20 cheaper, will it work?

horhay

Instead of buying a building kit of $38 can i buy just a heatsink on HTD for the MXDL? It's $20 cheaper, will it work?

yes, but you still need to buy a flashlight host. dealextreme SKU 3405, and im sure jayrob has some too.

the glasses might be cheap, but search for some reviews. a 100mW PHR doesn't need $50 glasses unless you're just going to be an idiot while using it. they really do get the job done, my 1.6W 445nm looks like maybe a 10-20mW dot. of course it would still destroy my eyes, but nothings foolproof and $45 is a lot of extra money to spend. you can absolutely use it indoors, just don't go playing "let's see how close i can get the dot to my eyes!" with a mirror.

You may want to check this thread

http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/100mw-phr-803t-black-cree-c3-host-extension-tube-budget-build-56645.html

I ordered the stuff from DX to build one but ended up buying a two hosts from Mohrenberg for $20 each including a beefy heatsink since it's taken almost a month for my order to ship*. Take a look at my 6x build thread that I posted a few days ago for pics of the host I used.

I would probably look into one of the hosts like what Mohrenberg sells for a first build if you don't want to wait 4-6 weeks to get it from DX. Jayrob and several others sell some really nice, but generally more expensive hosts. Jayrob also offers a "hot option" where he'll include a flexdrive mounted in the host and set to the current you want for about an extra $50 or so. All you have to do is solder the diode to the leads. Depending on the host you may need to get a rechargeable lithium battery and charger which will run about $20-25. If you order from DX you may want to spend the extra $18 for express 3-5 day shipping because with Christmas coming up standard shipping will probably take forever.

*In DX's defense they had my order ready to ship 4 days after I placed it. It took the Hong Kong Post Office from 10/25 until today, 11/17 to actually ship the order. I'll probably still build it since I have an extra PHR diode or if the flashlight doesn't suck I may just use it as a flashlight and build something else later.