Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

broken or shorting out?

mw1111

hey untill i can raise the money for a driver from DDL and a diode from SenKat, i wonder, is my 5mW greenie really broken?

one day, i needed the batteries from it, so i took them out and used them for awhile, then put them back in, and tada, it didnt work. i took it apart, but nothing seemed amiss, to my untrained eye. when i put it back together however, and stuck the batteries in, i tried it out, but to my suprise and my pain, the button heated A LOT and burned me. the laser still did not work... anyone know what might cause somethig like that to happen? and if not, can my 5mW diode be rescued, or is it down for the count???

EDIT: hmm looking at the driver for this thing, i now see that the + and - wires coming out of the button on the driver must have been exceedingly hot, as the button is partially melted. (just a little bit, but nevertheless thats hot)

S

SenKat

Look down the battery end with a flashlight - I think you will find that the spring that is used for a battery contact is bent over, and shorting against the case. Unless you can get this figured out, I suggest you do NOT place any batteries inside it, as they are likely to explode in that type of situation.

mw1111

hmm

no looking at it, the spring was straight, but i can see that being a common problem for you guys, do you have any other ideas?

chimo

There are a few different versions of these lasers. Here is a possible answer:

The case is the positive connector for the battery.
The switch button that protudes from the case is metal and is loose.
The switch body (outside the plastic button in the switch) is metal and may become grounded.

If the module insert is not precisely positioned, the metal switch which touches the metal body is at Batt+ potential may tilt and contact the switch body which may be connected to the Batt-. That would be a direct short and give you a nice little button heater. (Note: lots of "mays" in there :))

mw1111

hmm. i see what you mean.

there has been an unfortunate new happening: i broke out the diode :/ ... i put it on the table and then it fell onto a concrete block i have right there, and the little diode window shattered. (there are two windows it loooks like, one on the case , and one on the diode. is there any way to salvage the diode case? is it even worth it?

might be worth hanging onto, never know - you might want to convert it to a DIY laser