Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Broken HeNe project - "Lemonade from lemons"

I received my 6mw HeNe DOA from ebay. The vendor refunded my money and said keep the tube.

So now I have a very nice Melles Griot cha cha shaker.

How hard is it to completely gut that metal tube? is there adhesives in there?

I am looking at this and thinking it would be a superb host for a module and a battery pack of C size cells for prolonged use.

The opening on the rear end cap would be perfect for a lanyard, The metal tube would be easy to work with, the front end cap will protect the module (installed down inside the tube, aimed out the center aperture of the HeNe.)

The stickers are still intact and look good, So overall I think this would make a practical host, even though she may be bigger and bulkier than most, it would also slip right into tube mounts.

With C size batteries, it should be able to run for long periods of time as well. (Mount rechargeables and a charge jack??)

Should I machine a round heat sink that has an OD close to the ID of the housing for even better longevity? (I think this would also simplify module mounting, I have a small brass 532nm from rayfoss)

Add a key switch and power LED on the rear end cap for professionalism??

Any other thoughts??

Last edited: