Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Brand new optronics 120mw not working.

Hi, new user here. I've just recieved my 120mw green laser from optotronics and it's not working. I put in some new duracel plus 1.5v alkaline batteries as instructed and tried to fire it up but nothing happened. Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

Title should read optotronics.

Last edited:

Are you sure they are in the right way? i did the same thing with my first greenie. Also if changing the directions of the batteries doesnt work, i would contact Optotronics asap. He will make sure that it gets fixed his customer servise is 1. He might even answer your post he comes on here every once in a while.

My bad. Yes I did have the batteries the wrong way round. When the instructions said positive side up I thought that meant the negative side would go in first.

That's a relief as i'm in the U.K. and don't fancy sending it back to the States.

hey boy :9 you are new :) you could help us making a REVIEW of your 120mw laser :p why not ? how is the real power of your 120mw laser? it should be written in a piece of paper... that you received. pplease make some beamshoots and a review :9 also little.. but a review.. we need photo :) :p

He's right you have to. Its in the user agreement you signed when you joined the forum! You must review and post pics of all optotronics lasers...

JK you dont have to lol but you should.
Hope you enjoy it, and be careful that thing is powerful.

-Greg

So far so good, i shut my curtains to block out the day light and the beam was very visible, very thin, bouncing off all the dust floating around. The note says it has a verified output of 122mw. Not as high as some have had. I'm still playing around with the laser and prisms/mirror set that I purchased aswell. Will post some photos soon.

Glad to hear that you got it working. Just wait until tonight you will be in Awe!

I hate to sound like the laser Pos, but I take it your using googles with the optics and prisms indoors? Probably a good idea lol.

-Greg

Afraid I don't have any as yet. Having seen how bright the laser is thought I now realise the potential dangers. A pair of goggles will be my next investment. I think outdoor use for now will be a safer bet.

93shad

grrr u need to get goggles. can u light matches? i can with my 164mW opto pen as long as the match tip is black

Ya I have some mirrors and optics as well, and there useless without goggles. You cannot replace your eye if a beam happens to reflect and and catch ya in the face. It only takes one stray refection and its over. I know its not as cool viewing some of the beam splits and what not with goggles, because it blocks it all out, but use a camera to take pics of your creations.

BTW if you want to get a pair for a good deal, just buy them from the buy sell and trade section. You will see them for 30 - 35$ shipped quite often which is a good deal. Thats what I did. The most common seems to be the laser shades ( from wicked or Dragon lasers). These protect against 532nm ( green) and 405nm ( blu-ray or Violet ). Hope that helps.

-Greg

93shad

i used sunglasses (oakleys that block out 91% of light) and well i only used them for my 70mW, once i got a +150 i new i needed more than sunglasses :)

i used sunglasses (oakleys that block out 91% of light) and well i only used them for my 70mW, once i got a +150 i new i needed more than sunglasses :)

For anyone reading this especially newbs, Oakleys will not block / protect your eyes from 532nm laser.. I consider you lucky to still have vision lol. Even tho it was only a moderate power 70mW laser.

If your purchasing a laser, and have the excuse that you couldn't afford to buy googles with it. ( not saying you did ) Either buy googles first, save more money, or settle for a less expensive laser. If you absolutely must, dont use it indoors until you have eye protection. I was lucky enough to survive my own little ordeal, by catching 65mw of green laser directly in my left eye. I had a white spot in the vision for several days. This is not fun, really ****ing scary, and not worth losing your sight over.

When you finally invest in goggles, you will see what blocking the light really means. You can only see a very faint yellow dot from a 150mw laser. I can shine my 150 opto right at the lens of my glasses and it doesn't penetrate. Try doing that on your oakleys but be careful not to catch the reflection in your eyes.

-Greg

Last edited:
It's like jumping out of an airplane and then getting the parachute... IMO

Jerry

93shad

yeah i know. they were better than nothing, and it wasnt like i was trying to burn with my 70mW.
definitely invest in a pair of 532nm blocking shades