Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

bought a blue 445nm sanwu, are these sufficient goggles?

socal-dude

OD 3 Red Laser Goggle(445nm-470nm & 520nm-530nm)

or should i be buying something else?

i like and value my 20/20 vison.

thanks!

also, im new here, greetings from southern california...
---
are these any good?
/blue-laser-safety-goggles-405nm-445nm-473nm-p-204 from beamq,
i saw the activz! or what have you for 160$ but thats a bit spendy, unless there's a point..

Last edited:

julianthedragon

Welcome,

What power rating is the laser? This will determine what OD is appropriate. For a class IV laser at least OD6 is recommended.

It's hard to tell if the goggles are good without knowing the manufacturer or if they have an OSHA/CE certificate, but judging by the name and the implied cheap price my gut is telling me no.

You can spend less than $160 on a verifiably safe pair of glasses from the Canadian company laserglow: https://www.laserglow.com/product/byproduct/Laser-Safety-Goggles/

Your 20/20 vision will thank you

socal-dude

3w striker.
before this i have a 200mw green and 200mw red, and wanted to get something.... "up there"..

thank you for the link. still not sure whats appropriate to get, the gradings seem to block percentage of light, but what do people typically go for, etc? other considerations?

gracias

julianthedragon

For the best value for price and protection from 3W of 445 I would go for the "OD 7+ at 190-532 nm."

OD 7+ is more than enough but you can't have too much protection. Each OD represents a magnitude of power that the light is being reduced (so OD3 would divide the intensity of the light by 1000), however collimated laser light can be very intense especially when focused, so having at least OD6 protection is where most people stand. Remember the glasses do not have to just block the light instantaneously but also hold up against the laser burning a hole right through them in an instant. This type of quality is usually missing from the cheaper options, along with reliability that they really do what the seller/manufacturer says they do. They make certifications for this purpose, OSHA in the US or CE in Europe. Laserglow sells goggles with the certification. You can also find them at noirlaser.com but you have to check (they sell both certified and uncertified).

Hope that helps and I didn't bore you with a long block of text

socal-dude

For the best value for price and protection from 3W of 445 I would go for the "OD 7+ at 190-532 nm."

OD 7+ is more than enough but you can't have too much protection. Each OD represents a magnitude of power that the light is being reduced (so OD3 would divide the intensity of the light by 1000), however collimated laser light can be very intense especially when focused, so having at least OD6 protection is where most people stand. Remember the glasses do not have to just block the light instantaneously but also hold up against the laser burning a hole right through them in an instant. This type of quality is usually missing from the cheaper options, along with reliability that they really do what the seller/manufacturer says they do. They make certifications for this purpose, OSHA in the US or CE in Europe. Laserglow sells goggles with the certification. You can also find them at ut you have to check (they sell both certified and uncertified).

Hope that helps and I didn't bore you with a long block of text!
thank you thats not boring at asll :)!

Dusty_Lenses

I wonder, say you have a certified set of od5 and use to view the dot of a 1W laser focused for far field, does anything change if you focus down as small as possible and burn things whilst viewing the action? In other words is a higher optical density required or not depending what you are doing with the light? 👀

Cressa

The protection needed depends entirely on the focus and intensity of any reflection, the full power of a laser shouldn't be pointing at your face. But, it only takes one accident to go blind, and one good pair of safety goggles to not.

At 500mw+, just go for OD7. Eyes are expensive, good OD7 goggles aren't.

Your laser safety glasses must attenuate the wavelength you are working with and should be OD6 - OD7 or better, I prefer OD7 or better and with side curtain protection as well as bridge of nose protection. Here's some information and available products, read carefully and select the correct safety glasses.