Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

BluRay red laser host mod

going to build a bluray and since i don't want to go through the complications of making a driver circuit and finding a big enough host for it, i was wondering if you could mod a red laser powered by 2xAAA and switch the 5mw diode with the bluray. Seems like it would work because unlike green, blurays are essentially the same as a red diode in terms of voltage and ma's. if im wrong, let me know

250mw DIY red
20mw Blu-ray coming soon

VW

http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1204788577

See this thread... For $70 you can get your self a custom built barrel and high performance driver with minimal soldering required. If you want the best out of your blue ray, I say this is your best option. The units AFAIK have only begun production and you'll have to wait a month or so, but in the end I think it would be worth it. Saves you taking a risk on modding an existing housing and messing up your diode.

IgorT

RGBdiffraction said:
going to build a bluray and since i don't want to go through the complications of making a driver circuit and finding a big enough host for it, i was wondering if you could mod a red laser powered by 2xAAA and switch the 5mw diode with the bluray. Seems like it would work because unlike green, blurays are essentially the same as a red diode in terms of voltage and ma's. if im wrong, let me know

Well, i'm afraid you are wrong. Blue Rays are way more different from reds, than IR pump diodes in greens are.
Reds need 2.8-3V, Blue Rays need 4.5-5V and IR pumps need 1-8-2V. This doesn't mean you can just plug them into this voltage, but that the driver will operate them approximately between these voltages.

You ARE going to need a driver. A constant current driver. A linear regulator would not work with a Blue Ray from two AAA batteries. Linear regulators need a certain voltage above what the load needs. The LM317 needs 3V more, so you need to select your batteries in a way, that they still have 3V more when they are empty. For Blue Rays you need three Li-Ions or a 9V battery with the 317.

Some low dropout regulators can drive a Blue Ray from only two Li-Ions. I think rckstr's driver might be able to do it.

The only way to drive a Blue Ray from 2xAAA is a boost or buck/boost driver, like Dr_Lava is selling (flexdrive). It is very small and fits pens. It boosts the voltage and adjusts it to keep the current constant. It can operate from a voltage higher or lower than what the load needs.

Thanks i will check out the flexdrive from Dr_Lava and will see if will work. I would like the Bluray to be small, and since it is a gift to a friend, i would like to have a diode life of at least >500hr. I have been building lasers for a while, but I am new to LPF.

VW

If a long life time is what you're after, than lava's driver is a must, especially if you're not an experienced builder. I would reccomend setting the mA slightly lower than what you would like, just to guarentee the extra life time. Depending on what diode you're using (PHR-803T?)...

IgorT

The flexdrive will most definitely work. It can power any diode with more than 2.4Vf from two AAA cells or one Li-Ion. That is what allows you to make a laser small. It boosts the voltage (or bucks, depending on what's needed) and provides the load always with just enough to achieve the desired current.

A laser, once built and with current regulation will have a long lifetime. If you are talking about the X-BOX PHR-803T sleds, less than 90mA should be safe, if you want extra safety, go with less than 80mA. Above 90mA the knee starts forming and above 100mA it becomes prominent.