Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

BluRay Driver?!

What do you guys think would be the battery life if one were to use 3 LR44's with a 110-150 ohm resistor? Assume for the sake of discussion that 4.5 is sufficient, and there was a spike-absorbing capacitor in play. My guess is we'd be looking at an hour or two, from the cheap ones, considering this information from wikipedia:
Typical capacity (mAh):150 (alkaline), 200 (silver-oxide)

depends on the mA you want, i cant be bothered with all the v= IR stuff right now as i have to go to school.
but remember, the rated capacity of a battery is not actually designed for or measured over an hour. for example, a 100Ah 12v battery I have will have great trouble providing 100 amps for an hour, but it will do 1 amp for 100 hours.
a 150mAh battery would probably last about an hour and a half, if the bluray diode is _drawing_ 40mA or so, i assume the driver is taking about 60mA, in which case, 150 / 60 = 2.5 hours, but slightly less effective life before the voltage drops below bluray lasing threshold.
So I'd say about half as long as they work in a red pointer. :p

WELL, regardless, I have found out the HARD WAY and BLOWN A THIRD DIODE that VOLTAGE MATTERS no matter WHAT anyone on these forums says.
Forget the load/no-load BS, do NOT run the Meredith Instruments regulator on a nine volt battery unless you plan on putting a resistor in parallel to suck off some of the voltage!!!!

Update an hour later.
Fourth diode: blown. Screw it. I give up. It never even lased even running the circuit off 6V.  Started at 11ma and it never got past the LED light. I hit the max (123) before I saw lasing. I've smashed the circuit board to bits and am ready to kill someone.

Update 2. Hopefully nobody saw my suicide threats!
Apparently, #4 was one of those freak diodes. It's lasing at around 90ma and not heating up.  Weird. Just using 44ohms of resistance and 2 CR123's

Update 3. My (mis)understanding of ohms law needed some work. 32ma, not 90! I was not accounting for the load of the diode. My bad.

so what is the deal will it work with the blu ray ld or not? dedal says it wont because it gets to hot. What si the best solution for a driver that will fit in a small pen? Or do i have to go with that generic cap protected driver with that huge 25 ohm pot?

Ug, coming to this thread waaay late. The ns102 is the driver I used for my homebrew 20mW 635 nm pointers. They work really, really well for red laser diodes - I've gotten 100's of of hours of rock solid use from them. They are an APC supply, meaning you need to use an LD with a monitor photodiode. This assures a steady power output across a large temperature range.

Unfortunately the voltage is tuned for red diodes (2-2.5 volts) so they will not work with violet laser diodes. They have higher voltage requirements.

The ns102 is hard to work with cuz it's so tiny. The trim pot allows ez adjustment of the current, though I found them a little flaky to adjust. Once dialed in they work great - again with red laser diodes of the correct type.

I don't think any of us have used any circuit that dealt with the photodiode in the PS3 blu-ray diodes at all.