Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blue laser power check

I bought a 5 watt blue laser while travelling in Bangkok. (at the MBK). It is powered by two cr123a batteries. The casing is some king of chrome covered steel and the whole unit is quite heavy (about 12 ounces) and 6 inches long.
When I focus the beam at objects 2 feet away they burn rather quickly. Of course, the darker ones burn faster.

I have very little experience with lasers but know enough to protect my eyesight.

My question is : Is there some way to check the actual power without taking the unit apart. What I mean is ; can I try burning a certain known material at a fixed distance that would sort of confirm that it is really a 5 watt laser with the correct ID and not just a 1 watt with a fake label. I know there are alot of cheap chinese made copies out there. I paid 2000 baht (64 usd) for the unit.

Thank you

GSS

I think if its "made" to be powered by 2 CR123a batterys it won't be even close to 5W.
Probably 800mw to 1W.. This level of power still burns ok.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply GSS, but since like you I doubt the labeling is correct, my question was how to test the unit without specialized equipment. Could you rig up some kind of home made bench test ?

GSS

There really isn't a way without buying obviously a LPM.
There is a heat measuring sensor way and using DDM to calculate a ball[park estimate. I may be way off with this even?? and still will cost money.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hi tinker, where (generally) are you located, LPF has members all over the world, there may be one who has an LPM near you, most any member here will measure your laser for free; just cover the shipping. :)

If you are in the US I could measure it for you. Just pay for the shipping costs. Otherwise,look for someone in the country in which you live for someone who might do it for you.

Lasersbee might be quite close to you there.

There are many reasons why any test you set up will fail. The divergence of the diode used, the material you use to burn. That is why we have laser power meters to measure the power of lasers with. There are no other options really.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
If you are in the US I could measure it for you. Just pay for the shipping costs. Otherwise,look for someone in the country in which you live for someone who might do it for you.

Lasersbee might be quite close to you there.

Yes, I think Lasersbee is in Quebec, I would check with him. It couldn't be any better than having him check it for you.