Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blue Laser "dirty" (or burned) diode ?

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Rosin, being a good solder flux, rosin core solder is your friend as well. I have a flux pen, but only use it when I need to apply solder to an area that won't normally take it well.

Flux does more than help get through the layer of oxide that covers most of the metals we want to solder to. It's also very important for heat transfer. I use flux core solder most of the time but when I'm doing something delicate that I don't want to apply heat to for any longer than absolutely necessary, soldering a laser diode to a driver for example, I'll add extra flux (no clean flux pen) to help make the connections cleaner and faster. If you're doing fine pitch SM soldering flux is an absolute must. Rosin core, or any other core, solder just won't cut it.

For rework or fine soldering I use solder paste and hot air. I have a temperature controlled iron that can get up to 500* C and tips of all sizes. I never have trouble soldering a laser diode to a driver directly as I can easily control the temperature of my soldering tip. It never takes more than a second to get solder flowing over the diode's pin and the drivers pad. Been soldering for 46 years continuously.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
Flux does more than help get through the layer of oxide that covers most of the metals we want to solder to. It's also very important for heat transfer. I use flux core solder most of the time but when I'm doing something delicate that I don't want to apply heat to for any longer than absolutely necessary, soldering a laser diode to a driver for example, I'll add extra flux (no clean flux pen) to help make the connections cleaner and faster. If you're doing fine pitch SM soldering flux is an absolute must. Rosin core, or any other core, solder just won't cut it.

For rework or fine soldering I use solder paste and hot air. I have a temperature controlled iron that can get up to 500* C and tips of all sizes. I never have trouble soldering a laser diode to a driver directly as I can easily control the temperature of my soldering tip. It never takes more than a second to get solder flowing over the diode's pin and the drivers pad. Been soldering for 46 years continuously.

Good on ya' Paul. IPC certified since 2002 myself but I've been soldering for decades longer. Just trying to teach the young ones good habits!

You've got to be kidding. I'm not trying to have a dick measuring contest. Decades implies at the very least 20 years. You have been soldering as part of your profession for over 66 years? That is amazing. You must be close to 90 years old. Congratulations.

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter
You've got to be kidding. I'm not trying to have a dick measuring contest. Decades implies at the very least 20 years. You have been soldering as part of your profession for over 66 years? That is amazing. You must be close to 90 years old. Congratulations.

Made my first solder connections when I was 5. I just turned 53. I wonder how much lead I absorbed before I was old enough to worry about it.

Benm

Who cares about years. If you can properly solder a transistor onto a pcb you can solder a M140 laser diode onto a board like this. It's not rocket science, and as long as you have a soldering station intended for electronics and not something for plumbing you'll be fine.

Heck, if in doubt desolder the defective diode first and solder it back on in you're unsure if you can do it (don't do this too often though, most pcb's don't like being soldered on repeatedly).

The difficulty here is probably how the diode is mounted to the body of the laser - from the pictures it's not clear to me... is it press fit, fit with some locking nut, or perhaps with a set screw from the side?

As long as you can get the pcb with the diode mounted onto in safely out and back in the laser replacement should not be difficult.

Because there is lead in every solder I use, I started blowing on the site I was soldering when I started working on electronics for a living back in 1973. Don't know if it kept all the lead vapor out of my lungs, but I know it had to help. Heavy metals aren't something you want in your tissues. Was made very aware of lead's toxicity while in college at that time.