Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blue laser diode question

Let's say I got a blue diode from a blu-ray reader. What would it take to make it a rather weak power of about >5mW?

Can I just hook it up to a driver from a cheap green or red laser (that powers a >5mW laser)? Or would the current that the driver outputs to the diode be too low to function (if that even makes sense)?

The current from a cheap green's driver is too high, and cheap reds seldom have drivers.

also the 'blu-ray' diode outputs 405nm, so it will look more purple/violet.

Inject about 20mA of current to see if it lases. If it does, you can probably bump it it to ~30mA if you want a "little" extra power.

The current from a cheap green's driver is too high, and cheap reds seldom have drivers.

Don't green lasers use a lesser current than blue/violets? I thought that the common 445 (I know blu-ray isn't 445) uses about 1-1.5A of current...what current do greens use?

also the 'blu-ray' diode outputs 405nm, so it will look more purple/violet.

That's alright, I just say blue to encompass 400-445nm generally. But thanks for the specification!

Inject about 20mA of current to see if it lases. If it does, you can probably bump it it to ~30mA if you want a "little" extra power.

That's a good tip! Generally all I want is a "legal" blue laser >5mW. But thanks for that! (+rep for all regardless :D)

Green lasers are Ir diodes as what drives / pumps the crystal to make green light.

And 445 doen't need up to 1.5 amp it's just that we push them to 1.5 even more
usually they start lasing @ ~200mA

Ehmm 5mW of 405 will hardly be visible...

Last edited: