Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blue blocking glasses, melatonin, and the circadian rhythm

TomD

I did a quick search and didn't find any discussion about this particular topic. Is this even in the right section (not in safety/eyewear because it doesn't deal with lasers)?

~

Apparently wearing blue blocking eyewear helps stimulate the body to produce melatonin, which is the sleep hormone. What this means is that one can alter the circadian rhythm by wearing the glasses 3-4 hours before their intended sleeping time and find it easier to get a good night's rest.

I'm not sure if anyone's tried it, so please chime in if you have. I am pretty sure some of you guys have tried wearing a pair of orange glasses for longer than 3 hours. :wave:

Here's a bit more info. The blue component of light, when exposed to the human body, blocks/stops/inhibits the production of melatonin, making it difficult for one to sleep. I wonder if this explains the number of insomniacs glued to their screens. Another strong blue-emitting light source at night is the fluorescent lamp/bulb. So to reiterate, wearing the blue blockers makes your body produce hormones that make you ready for sleep.

Believe it, or not? :tinfoil:

I guess you could try and test this theory by wearing blue blocking laser shades a few hours before going to bed :)

jimdt7

Very interesting, but my glasses are Orange so i can't test the theory.
Can't wait for your results !

Jim

TomD

Very interesting, but my glasses are Orange so i can't test the theory.
Can't wait for your results !

Jim

Orange, as in orange-blocking? I meant glasses that block blue light, meaning the Eagle Pair 190-540nm I have would suffice.

I just woke up after wearing the glasses for an hour before sleeping. Five hour rest... well I must say I didn't have any difficulty sleeping at all, and I woke up earlier than I expected.

Of course this was an impromptu test. More are needed, especially with insomniacs.:eg:

OR you can install a Low Pressure Sodium lamp in your evening living space which only emits 589nm light. This too stimulates melatonin production and helps you sleep easier, and you don't have to wear goggles for hours and it saves electricity.

TomD

OR you can install a Low Pressure Sodium lamp in your evening living space which only emits 589nm light. This too stimulates melatonin production and helps you sleep easier, and you don't have to wear goggles for hours and it saves electricity.

I haven't even heard of sodium lamps until you mentioned it. :thanks:

The cheapest I could find were upwards of $20 though. I still think the $9 Uvex glasses still have the upper hand price-wise, don't use any electricity, and can be brought almost anywhere.

Or bottled melatonin.

...which only emits 589nm light. This too stimulates melatonin production

Bright light and blue light suppresses melatonin production. Not the same as saying that dim yellow light (which LPS isn't) stimulates it.

And yes, it would be easier and far more effective to take a supplement.

Last edited:
Yes, you're absolutely correct. I was thinking more that the change from bright blue intensive light to dim yellow would stimulate the production given the change takes place at the proper point in the circadian cycle, not the 589nm light itself. Otherwise it would be a sleep-light! Hah.

Supplements cost money though and LPS sodium saves it (once the initial cost has been recouped). Plus supplements can make you drowsy if the dose is too high.

You're unlikely to get any immediate, physiological changes from playing around with wavelength filters. Although most animals do use parametric photocues to entrain their circadian rhythms, it is most commonly the timing and intensity of the light signal that will initiate protein and hormone expression. In mammals, it can take up to 10 days to adjust the circadian rhythm to the environment. You are better off trying to adjust your circadian rhythm through exercise and a practical sleep/wake cycle; these will have bigger impacts than trying to modulate the secretion of hormones via light filters. I do photomanipulation studies with birds and squirrels in the arctic and I'm not aware of any method that can entrain an animal in 1 day.

my pc I built for my room was in a HAF932 coolermaster case, and the blue diode made me have night sweats and woke me up quite a bit, all my issues went away when cut the lead to the diode. Thing was just to bright to be a power light, and the hard drive lights had me think cops are pulling up, Blue is a short wavelength and we don't focus it perfectly too much gives me a headache, it it does have some effect on sleep to me. I am not wearing laser goggles to help me sleep better, at night natural we would have longer wavelength light as the sun sets the scattering increases for shorter light as it passes though more atmosphere. So we are most likely tuned to this event.

Last edited:
I've been experimenting with different kinds of tints/lenses for a while now. Not so much with the goal of falling asleep faster, but strictly to reduce strain on my eyes, and see better.

Blue blocking goggles work incredibly well to reduce eye strain. In combination with regular sunglasses, blue blocking goggles also help to an amazing degree when driving on a sunny day, or without the sunglasses on days that are overcast.

For night time driving, try yellow/canary colored goggles/lenses. The reduction in visibility is not really noticeable, but they help incredibly with drivers who use high beams, or the newer super bright/white headlights.

For general everyday use, copper, or copper rose lenses work best.

Last edited: