Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blue balloons resistant against blue laser

One of my video's of balloons with a 1.3W laser.. When properly focused you can pop balloons very far!

greetings,,

Nothing here is surprising, new, or for that matter, all that interesting.
Kind of a wasted thread, in my opinion.
Of course blue balloons that reflect almost all of the energy from the blue laser take longer to soften/melt to the point of rupture. What else would you expect ?
A purple balloon, consisting of pigmentations of both blue and red, results in a lot of reflected energy from the blue and the lower/slower absorption from the red (not the opposite orange color but a fair number of wavelengths away red) allows a more moderated melting that self seals as the air rushing by cools it is not anything overly surprising. Mildly interesting but not surprising.

BTW. Just because a manufacturer labels something as 1W (1000mw) doesn't necessarily mean that as you use it that you are getting that maximum rated output.
More than likely you are experiencing a markedly lower output.
Still dangerous, so be careful, but likely 30-50% lower.

Offroad : In the video I noticed a building with windows behind your targets. I'm sure that you were taking care not to expose someone unintentionally but the reflections off the glass can be a little more problematic.
Not accusing you of anything. Just pointing it out for the less experienced veiwer that migh have just watched it.

Take care all.

Hehe, Shorty, thanks for posting the second longest reply in this "wasted thread". But seriously, I can buy the self-sealing bit, so thanks for that.

Depending on where you penetrate the balloon, it may pop, or it may slowly deflate. Try popping a balloon with a needle by pricking it on the side, then try popping it by pricking it at the top or bottom, where the rubber hasn't stretched as much.

@nouthyella: where do I start looking for focusing lenses? And please tell me they're all a standard size ]:-}

My laser is a serious no name brand, which may make fitting lenses easier... or a lot more difficult!

Try posting a few pictures of your laser here, I am sure the vets can do something.

Benm

That doesn't work. What color has a CO2 laser ?
The military lasers shoot thru everything, even polish metal I think.

Well, the reality of things is that 'it may help'.

If you, for example, expect a missile to be targeted by 1064 nm laser, you may very well apply a HR1064 coating. This will not reflect -all- the light, but if it manages to reflect 99%, it will take the laser 100 times longer to do damage compared to a black missile.

If that makes the difference between 5 and 500 nanoseconds it wouldnt be that valuable, but if it makes the difference between 1 second and a 1.6 minutes, it gets interesting.

I don't doubt reflective outside coverings for short range missiles will become common once laser defenses become more common - its an arms race like any other. Also, making the outer shell more thermally conductive to spread the heat could be useful. Missiles haven't been built to withstand laser blasts in the past, but that may very well change soon.