Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blu-Ray

Ok, so I'm just beginning (sorta) this whole dabble with lasers, and I'm confused how to get a Blu-Ray laser diode to work portably. I bought a PS3 carriage online and it just came today and I've extracted the only thing in it that resembles a laser diode. (side number: 615144 060024 if that helps). Do all Blu-Ray laser diodes from PS3 sleds have the same requirements to power them? And on the same note, what should be my schematics consist of? I have an understanding of resistors, potentiometers, capacitors, diodes (not so much laser diodes though), switches, soldering and testing using a multimeter (though my skills with it could be greatly improved on). The diode I have also has 5 pins. Which is confusing. Any help regarding schematics and the specs of the laser diode itself would be greatly appreciated. I've been searching through the forum and it's a bit confusing.

the other pins are for things like the DVD and CD diodes, as well as maybe a photodiode. check the stickies and use the search button, there are MANY threads of people asking the same question ;)

and of course, welcome to the forum :D

LarryQ said:
Starting out with a Blu-Ray is pretty Gutsy!!!!

I Like Gutsy!!!

Good Luck..and watch that Static!!!

LarryQ

thanks. the site clarified alot. (I had originally posted a longer reply but the forum wouldn't let me post it because I wasn't allowed to post links).
More questions:
Can you mod it so that you can use each diode type separately using a single circuit board designed to power just the violet diode? How necessary are lenses/filters for Blu-Ray/red lasers? Also, what is a LM317 regulator? I'm guessing that it's a voltage regulator, but what does it look like. I'm looking at the site and I guess that it's the blue component.

LarryQ

All very good questions.....

I will try my best!

A LM317 based curcuit is a laser diode power circuit based on an easily obtained LM317 regulator component..

Read more
Here:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1185701612

Though there is a pretty good diagram on the first page I sent...

SenKat offers an entire "Kit" that has everything you need to build one!!
He also sells the AixiZ modules you will need.

http://sales.stonetek.org/

As far as powering up the IR, and red portions of the diode...the IR is useless, and the red seems to have a completely Different focal length and Low power!

The value of the diode lies in the 405nM blue..WHy risk the Blue for a common red??

Good Luck......If there is one piece of advice I can give..it is to READ..READ..READ these forums.....

TONS OF proven info here..you will learn a lot..and maybe save a diode or two in the process!!!

LarryQ

Ok, so i read the first couple of pages of that thread, and I get it's use. They mentioned later on (like the last few pages) that each Blu-Ray diode has a different "laseing threshold" (shouldn't it be "lasing" instead because when you add "-ing" to a word ending with "-e" you drop the "-e"?). I'm assuming that this is the lowest level that a beam will appear, right? They also mentioned "I believe the prefered method is to slowly raise the current until you reach laseing threshold, and the about another 10mA. Each diode is VERY different and you'll have to adjust for the needs of your diode." So you adjust the potentiometer and measure with a multimeter (where would you reccommend putting the probes? Right after the pot, on both the cathode and anode of the LD or somewhere else?)
I also just ordered a pack of 10 AixiZ casings. And geeze that thread is long. Sorry if any of my questions were answered in those pages 3-37 that I didn't read.

There are two common ways to measure the current being consumed by the diode.
1. Set your meter to current mode, and put it in series with the diode, not across it.  (Not recommended due to the danger of loose connections causing spikes.)
OR
2. Permanently solder a 1-ohm resistor in series with the diode.  Set your meter to measure mA.  Measure the voltage across this resistor.  With 1 Ohm, the measured mV will equal the actual mA.  (Current = Volts / Resistance).

I've seen a lot of people get this wrong and try to hook up the meter in place of the diode or across the diode, get the wrong answers, then wonder why they now have a LED.

And yes this is all covered in the Threads of Interest.

[Edit: Oops, mV not mA in #2 - thanks Gazoo]

So I've found out in the last hour and a half. Yes, I've been browsing the forum almost all day today (well, since I got home at 3 'till now, which is 8). I sorta had to start taking notes after a while because it was all jumbled up all over the place and more info was revealed in other threads and such. I've generated a components list of stuff that I need to scavenge/buy at a local store (Electronics Plus and RadioShack). My next few questions are not really laser related:
What is the best method to remove solder from a laser diode without damaging it (bulb, wick, etc.)?
Where would you apply thermal compound (such as Arctic Silver 5)? On the diode housing? Or some other component in a LM317 based circuit (the LM317 itself)?
Damm. So just to repeat and clarify for myself: A LM317 circuit is enough to power a Blu-Ray? Sorry, but I just want to be sure because now I'm really confused after reading more threads.

Ok, so I've been out of town and I just opened the casings today. I'm going to purchase the LM317's from a local shop. The only thing, the shop offers different types of LM317s:
1317L LM317LZ 1.2 VOLTS to 37 VOLTS @ 500 milliamps ADJUSTABLE POSITIVE VOLTAGE REGULATOR-3 PIN TO-220 PACKAGE $1.98
317T LM317T 1.2 VOLTS to 37 VOLTS @ 1.5 AMPS ADJUSTABLE POSITIVE VOLTAGE REGULATOR-3 PIN TO-220 PACKAGE $1.98
317CAN LM317K 1.2 VOLTS to 37 VOLTS @ 1.5 AMPS ADJUSTABLE POSITIVE VOLTAGE REGULATOR-2 PIN TO-3 PACKAGE $4.72
317HVHP LM317HV 1.2 VOLTS to 57 VOLTS @ 1.5 AMPS ADJUSTABLE POSITIVE VOLTAGE REGULATOR-2 PIN TO-3 PACKAGE $10.95

Which one of these should I purchase? I'm thinking the 1.2 VOLTs to 57 VOLTS but I really could be mistaken. What's the voltage range that I'm looking at? This then relates to the voltage rating for the capacitors and resistors if it comes to it.

Gazoo

The first one will be fine. The rest of your questions have already been answered in this thread. Follow the links Larry posted.

Ok, since that question was ansered, I have another:

What is the pin-out for the diode in relation to the grooves on the case?
What is the pin-out for the LM317?

Also, in the digram on the web page that LarryQ gave me, there's a schematic given. However, I'm confused at the representation of some components. There's a component next to the LM317 that looks like a 100 ohm pot and a 15 ohm resistor. Am I reading this correctly?

Also, is it possible to mount the casing to a fleixble metal pipe? I'm asking this because I'm interesting in separating the diode from the circuitry and batteries. What I am to do is put the circuitry in a backpack and have the diode sticking out on a stiff-yet-flexible-and-durable wire so that it can be aimed.
In addition, I ordered a remote control switch a long time ago from amazing1. com and I would like to hook that up to the circuit so that I can operate the blu-ray laser and a separate burning red laser at the push of two different buttons. However, I'm not sure how to connect it. Here's the info on the receiver:

VISITECT RF300RL
2 Data Line / 3 channel decoded signal receiver with latching outputs
"The RF300 series of high-end receivers are designed to meet the needs of applications requiring reliability, security, consistent reception range and multiple signals."

Electrical Characteristics:
Operating Input Voltage:
-with 9 volt regulator
--min 11
--typ. 12
--max 24
--Unit V dc
-with 9 volt regulator bypassed:
--min 8
--typ. 9
--max 12
--unit V dc
Operating Current @ 12 vdc
-min 12
-typ. 13
-max 14
-unit mA
Transmission Frequency
-typ. 318.000
-unit MHz
Range (with RF300T/RF300XT)
-min 0
-typ. (T) 150
-max (XT) 300
-unit Ft.

Will try to upload a diagram from the sheet they gave me later....

To tell you the truth, im impressed! you read the first part of the DDL thread!! noone reads that, they just keep posting the same questions over and over again.

I don't know about the receiver, and you cant post links till u have at least 10 posts.

You will be fine with 6v (4 AAA batteries), the LM circuit, and your diode, make sure you have the 100 ohm pot (I made a thread linking to a cheap buy of them on ebay, just search 4 it on the forum.) the scematic on sales.stonetek.org calls for a 4 ohm resistor, I am using 2 10ohms in parallel to get 5 ohms, but then again mine is a red running at 250mA, which is too much for a bluRay.

this pic shud help with the pin problem:

pinout.jpg

regards,

amk

Yeah, I saw that pin-out, but it really didn't help me because there's nothing to figure out which way the diode is being held.  Because of the five pins in a pentagon shape, there are five different "tops" that could be possible.  Is there a different characteristic to the ground pin that sets it apart?

The receiver is a visitect product.  And with most problems, the website is under construction :'( :exclamation

The schematic that I'm referring to is:

schem.jpg