Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blowing things up in IOWA

Well it was a very cool vacation and I did not take as many pictures as I would have liked but here are a few.

This is a video of a multi break salute shell and the big boom at the end is called the "Bottom Shot" and the
guy who made this one put a tad bit long fuse on it, that actually just makes it more interesting :evil:

And a second one from Dr. X

One of the shows

The All Stars show, this is put on by hobbyist that made all these shells

And all of these shells were made by hobbyist and then are now being judged in competition

So if you see a truck pull up in your drive way and it has these placards on it don't run away, SMILE cuz the fun's about to start :eg:

There are a couple ways to make rocket motors, you can pound or ram them with tools like these

Or you can press them with a hydraulic press like I am doing here

This is a G-dola made by one of the members in the manufacturing area and shot that night

Here is a good video of the manufacturing area at the PGI convention, there are some really nice shells being made here

I'll put up more photos when I get time :)

Any one that wants to add to this thread feel free to do so.

Last edited:

Ha. That first one was great. What part of Iowa were you in? I'm about half way between Omaha and Sioux Falls.

Ha. That first one was great. What part of Iowa were you in? I'm about half way between Omaha and Sioux Falls.

This took place in Mason City at the fair grounds it happened there about 3 years ago and it will happen there again in a couple years, the people in Mason City love us for bringing them world class fireworks
shows for a week straight, the stands sold out every night there was a show :D

So if your interested in being there and being on the inside of the fence then you should go here and check out this web site and join if you really have pyro in your heart> PGI (Pyrotechnics Guild International)

Wow, now that's quite the boom. I bet it was awesome to see in person.

Yes I happen to be standing in the right place at the right time and seen the full opening of the shell and I was at my camp at the site, it was pretty amazing to say the least, I think the bottom shot must have been around 4-6 pounds of flash.

The above videos took me to some very interesting
ones by a guy who is experimenting with different
formulations of flash powder.

love your "extreme pyro" hat :) . cool stuff would love to have been there. Made some fireworks in my lifetime but they are always crude.

Love it Pyro, you are "Excused" from the forum anytime you wish to go and make some more pictures for us to watch! :D Thanks for sharing your love of fireworks with us!

Yep I been collecting pyro clothing for about 21 years now and I bet there is over 75 tee shirts in my closet that have a pyro picture or saying on them, just can't get enough of them :whistle:

All my first attempts were crude also but with practice we all get better and now with the internet and all the pyro videos it would be hard to screw something up now days.

love your "extreme pyro" hat :) . cool stuff would love to have been there. Made some fireworks in my lifetime but they are always crude.

Yes we are going to have to start a campaign to convert some of these guys here over to PYRO especially the guys who just can't solder as there is no soldering in pyro :crackup:

Any one want to learn how to make your own aerial shells or any pyro devices please PM me and I'll be most glad to help you out :yh:

And to all those out there who are into pyro even just a little, WHERE WERE YOU?:D
http://laserpointerforums.com/f57/pgi-mason-city-iowa-2014-a-90947.html

Last edited:
I have a bunch of 1/4" thick wall cardboard
tubes that might make a good small salute.

Cardboard%20Tube.png
Cardboard%20Tubes.png