Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Big hosts for big multi LD arrays

Some yaers ago I was thinking about making a portable torch with 4+ combined LDs of a NUBM44 type or similar power. Alaskan and RC made some suggestions to me at start and here is where I am:

Since the power consumption of such a combination would be >50W the inputs for such a host would be:

- The biggest bezel to have enough space for a huge heatsink.
- A special high voltage CC driver to ensure 3-4.5A current at 18+V. All LDs have to be connected in series to keep current as lower as possible and power woud be reached simply by voltage increase.
- As many as possible 18650 or 26650 cells connected in series maybe up to 50V total voltage (sounds like Tesla flammable battery tank but what else can we do to keep current drain through battries low?).

Here I am not considering CDBeam's custom made hosts since he has a lathe and me not.

So what "commercially available" hosts have I found as starting point?

- TK75. Bezel has 80mm diameter, so enough for a really big HS. But 18650 battery carrier is 2S2P type, so voltage is limited to 8V no matter how many extensions are added.
- These big torches from ali, depending on seller they carry 21-28LEDs in a bezel of 87mm diameter and body with 4x 26650 cells finally connected serially.

Now the questions where I would like to find answers from LPF members more experienced than me:

Where to find 4S battery carrier for TK75?
After searching I might have one but it is out of stock:

Where a simple (+/-)-contact for this 28LED torch can be found?
Because the spring contact inside has a low power PCB on the top and I would like to replace it by a different driver. Diameter is 26mm.

XML T6 driver 1.jpgXML T6 driver 2.jpg

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
It looks like the TK75 battery carriers and extensions are discontinued and out of stock most everywhere; when I bought mine a few years ago, you could get them everywhere. :(

I did find one in stock, but it's outside of the US, it's in the UK I believe and it's not real cheap.

Yes it is not cheap! But for me the issue with this carrier is not the price but that cells connection is 2P2S and it would be difficult to resolder it making 4S.

Here I found something similar on ali. Looks like this Astrolux MF04 torch (136mm bezel!) might be made similar to Fenix and bear interchangeable carriers made in a simplier way, so easier to resolder into 4S connection?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
That might work for you, as long as it physically fits, these carriers can be modded to be 4S, but can be a bit of a pain, I modded a 3 cell holder this way for one of my builds.

If you want a giant host with a battery tray, I can create one for you, I'm working on a project for one member here about giant hosts, I think I can.

Thank you Trinh, but the question was not making an unique custom host. The question was how to adjust what is already available around.

It is like one might grow a GaN crystal if one had a lab like Ironman in the movie but the LPF members have found a way to use the currently available N. diodes instead...