Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best way to run the DX True 30mW from three AAAs

Hi, I just wanted to ask you a short question: how can I comfortably run the DX True 30mW from three AAAs? Are there any special housings or shorter batteries?

ads813

Re: Best way to run the DX True 30mW from three AA

you dont want to do that. you will kill the laser.

Chad

^
No.

You could, theoretically. You'd just need a specific driver to limit the current.
OT, but WHY is your signature the party slogans? :-/ that was an unpleasant book.

ads813

true, i just figured that he was just a n00b that wanted to get more power out of his greenie

You figured it out? Out of one sentence? The thing is, I'm not really a noob, and I don't think that you are either. The problem with the DX True 30mW greenie is that the beam starts flickering after the battery is somewhat drained. I will use some NiMH-Cells so killing the laser wont be a problem.

Just use two Eneloop rechargeable batteries, they do great in my DX30 as opposed to cheaper NiMH batteries.

Switch

My DX30s only flickering problems come from heat.When it's cold it seems to have a ramp-up function.And when it's hot , well it just dims after a split second.Another proof that DX's quality isn't really consistant. :-/

Btw, that one sentence is quite a popular one. :p

how much of a difference is there between 3 ni-mh batteries and 2 lithium batteries? dont lithiums (non rechargable) have a slightly higher voltage that 1.5?

Switch

2 x 1.7 compared to 3 x 1.2 would be 3.4V opposed to 3.6V But NiMHs are more like 1.4V when fully charged, so that's more like 4.2V, so it's still more than 2 lithium primaries.

good point, althouth, they are somewhat close when the ni-mh batteries loose their surface charge and return to 1.2ish volts. :cool:

So all of you agree that I'm not a noob? ;) Lithiums are just to expensive for me, what's special about Eneloops? I thought their only advantage was their nearly total lack of self-discharging? (sry for this sentence, I can't formulate it any better ;))

Electric Eye said:
So all of you agree that I'm not a noob? ;) Lithiums are just to expensive for me, what's special about Eneloops? I thought their only advantage was their nearly total lack of self-discharging? (sry for this sentence, I can't formulate it any better ;))
Uhhh...Eneloops are just good ;D They work great in my power-hungry lasers, and they last longer than alkalines in my lasers. My DX30 stays bright much longer when it is running on Eneloops as opposed to alkaline batteries.

ads813 said:
you dont want to do that. you will kill the laser.
shit too late should of said that a week ago. i did it and instantly killed my dx true 50mw

xmtgx

styropyro said:
[quote author=Electric Eye link=1212077852/0#10 date=1212160394]So all of you agree that I'm not a noob? ;) Lithiums are just to expensive for me, what's special about Eneloops? I thought their only advantage was their nearly total lack of self-discharging? (sry for this sentence, I can't formulate it any better ;))
Uhhh...Eneloops are just good ;D They work great in my power-hungry lasers, and they last longer than alkalines in my lasers. My DX30 stays bright much longer when it is running on Eneloops as opposed to alkaline batteries.[/quote]
Well even the cheap nimh's should perform better then a good alkaline since they lose there voltage so rapidly.

Does sanyo make AAA rechargeables besides eneloops, I know they make the 2500 and 2700 AA rechargeable.
The higher MAH means they have a higher self discharge but they will lsst longer in the power hungry AAA lasers.

i swear by energizer lithiums, stay at good voltage almost right til they die!