Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

best technique for long range ?

BKarim

to see the dot the more far away (sorry don't remember the correct syntax, please remind me :)) , is it better to have more power or less divergence (with a beam expander for example) ?

wbayw

Less divergence. The absorbtion of the air is very little, <1dB/km. (It depends of the weather of course. In a foggy weather the absorbtion is much more.)

Last edited:

BKarim

sure! but which is the best ? (imagine a /2 divergence vs a x2 power)
i think this is low divergence but who can confirm?

With a beam expander your beam "dot" will be smaller (more concentrated),
so it will appear brighter,how much, will depend on the divergence of your laser to start with and the distance.
With 2X the power the perceived brightness will only appear .5X brighter (4X power=2X perceived brightness)

It's pretty much a toss-up IMHO.
Trial and error would be the sure way to tell.
As wbayw stated the air conditions (temp./humidity) will play a big part in the difference.
Maybe some of the math wizards here, could figure this out mathematically.:whistle:

Asherz

Just buy an Optotronics 400mW RPL, as well as a beam expander and you won't need to worry about how far it goes :p You'd probably see it on the moon :D

wbayw

If you have a lot of power but bad divergence you will see the dot far away, but it will be huge, so it wouldn't be so bright. If you have good divergence with less power you will see the dot far away and it will be tiny and bright. Divergence is more important than power I think.
It depend what do you want to see? Large dot, or tiny but brighter dot?

BKarim

i want to see a thin point 100 km away :)

since the surface of the dot is a squared function of the divergence (and dot brigthness an inverse function of dot surface) , i think you need 4x more power to achieve the same brighteness increase than /2 divergence.
and the rayleigh diffusion is function of beam intensity too...

so as we thought this is from far better to increase beam diameter and reduce the divergence than increase power.

Last edited: