Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best reasonably priced laser safety goggles for 2 watt+ 462nm?

snek

Will be a m462 dpss laser diode. I noticed that they seem to range from 8$ to around 50$. I'm fine with paying more but if they are all the same then I would rather save money. Also what would be the safety margin (e.g. 5 sec of direct eye contact through glasses before possibility of damage)?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
snek, you could also check out Survival Laser, they have some high quality glasses/goggles at very reasonable prices, many members here have purchased them, and Gary, the owner is a member here at LPF. :yh:

Will be a m462 dpss laser diode. I noticed that they seem to range from 8$ to around 50$. I'm fine with paying more but if they are all the same then I would rather save money. Also what would be the safety margin (e.g. 5 sec of direct eye contact through glasses before possibility of damage)?

5 seconds of direct exposure ????

The purpose of laser safety glasses is to prevent eye damage from repeated diffuse and possible brief specular exposure, also they let you see what your doing when focusing the laser and burning with the laser, but you never shine a laser at your face or anyone's face safety glasses or not.

They should afford you ample time to blink and get out of the beam if you find yourself exposed to a specular reflection or direct exposure, there are technical parameters defined in the product info, you should familiarize yourself with the manufactures specs, remember that you are responsible for your safety and never look into a laser even with safety glasses.

p.s. Buy the good glasses from Survival, I used to double up the cheap glasses and visibility suffered, it suffers with cheap glasses anyway and your sight is worth the price of good safety glasses.

Last edited:
''Also what would be the safety margin (e.g. 5 sec of direct eye contact through glasses before possibility of damage)?''

5 SECONDS!!!BLINK REFLEX IS .25 SECONDS- 5 SECONDS IS AN ETERNITY..
25x 'NORMAL'
buy the best you can afford or cheap---THEN asap buy better and retire you 'old ones' as guest goggles-- avoid horizontal beams above the knees or below 7 feet- angle up or down just NOT horizontal.. you own eye's lens can magnify the power by 100 or even 1000 X..

ps
the 'better' eyeware has side shields--- for a reason-- the beam can come over your shoulder-hit the inside of your eyeware WHICH is a lot like a mirror- & can reflect the beam back into your eyes. 2000mW OF BLUE is a LOT!!

enjoy but be safe

I don't get that either. There is no M462 DPSS laser diode. Most DPSS pump diodes are in the IR range and the laser is a solid state as opposed to a semiconductor one. Why would you want goggles that can protect you from a five second long strike to your eye? That would never happen unless you are doing something very stupid.