Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best laser for UFO watch?

Tullsi Broadway

What laser would you recommend for UFO watching and communicating?

Most cheap lasers on amazon or Ebay are sold as 5mw. Some say, they are actually more mw than that. Others say, they are probably lower in mw than the specs are saying. A lot of them don't even have specifications at all.

How strong do they need to be?
Don't want to spend a fortune.

Planes fly up to about 10.000 km. Ufos are probably mostly in that area also, but could also be flying lower or higher of course.

Don't want to hit them in the head or risk blinding a pilot either. So maybe less can do the job? We just want them to see us and come and say hi, right?

Last edited:

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Are you seriously asking what laser is best to contact the mother ship?

So, I have most of the wavelengths and powers of lazer. For some reason the one that seems to summon up the weird, unexplainable noises from out beyond my back yard, is my 400mw 405nm. I can fire greens, reds, high-power blues.. etc. While those are really bright for seemingly miles.. , nothing odd happens when I fire them out. It's just from my experience, the 405 that does it. As soon as I turn it on, i'll start hearing dogs barking, then I'll hear weird screaming or giggling sounds coming from way out in the woods beyond. Maybe it's a coincidence, but it seemed to happen every time I would go out there to use that particular one. We don't live there anymore.. :) .. I'll just leave it at that. But that was really odd. Oddly, not my 1.5 watt 405.. Just the 400mw one.. But maybe I'm just hearing things that make no sense to me, but are explainable.. I just couldn't figure out what the weirdness was, lol

Tullsi Broadway

So, I have most of the wavelengths and powers of lazer. For some reason the one that seems to summon up the weird, unexplainable noises from out beyond my back yard, is my 400mw 405nm. I can fire greens, reds, high-power blues.. etc. While those are really bright for seemingly miles.. , nothing odd happens when I fire them out. It's just from my experience, the 405 that does it. As soon as I turn it on, i'll start hearing dogs barking, then I'll hear weird screaming or giggling sounds coming from way out in the woods beyond. Maybe it's a coincidence, but it seemed to happen every time I would go out there to use that particular one. We don't live there anymore.. :) .. I'll just leave it at that. But that was really odd. Oddly, not my 1.5 watt 405.. Just the 400mw one.. But maybe I'm just hearing things that make no sense to me, but are explainable.. I just couldn't figure out what the weirdness was, lol
Okay, so it's the violet laser wavelength, right? Could you link to that laser and where to buy?

I have been told, that violet is the better than green. Don't know why. They are certainly more stealth from the ground, so you don't get attention from the wrong people :-D

But why the 400mw should be better than the 1w or more, I don't know.

Last edited:

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Just be careful that you don't start an interstellar war. Long ago we had another member here who tried to contact a UFO that had been lurking near his place using a large laser. The Betelgeusian Starfleet Admiral was less than impressed and this member was abducted and taken back to the vast caves on Betelgeuse-6 for "reeducation". :mad:

NYPD: To Protect and Serve (Yeah, right, about that :rolleyes:)

Armed Forces of the Greater Betelgeusian Star Empire: To Abduct and Probe (Gulp! Well at least they're honest. O___O)

tung

The wavelength doesn't really matter (although a high powered CO2 laser would ionize the air along the beam's axis adding to the overall detectability) but you'll want to encode your message/ intention in binary pulses and repeat at a fixed interval.

Tullsi Broadway

Its worrying it took so long for someone to point that out.
We'll, it's obvious, isn't it? But it's good, that people are awake about that and warns others. I am completely aware of the danger. The rule is, if there's anything in the sky, that COULD be a plane, you don't use the laser, but wait, till it's passed.

Tullsi Broadway

The wavelength doesn't really matter (although a high powered CO2 laser would ionize the air along the beam's axis adding to the overall detectability) but you'll want to encode your message/ intention in binary pulses and repeat at a fixed interval.
Okay, I don't know, why the violet laser would be better, but someone suggested that. Maybe it's because, it's doesn't blind the eyes so much. The beam is still dangerous though.

bulukaki

Okay, I don't know, why the violet laser would be better, but someone suggested that. Maybe it's because, it's doesn't blind the eyes so much. The beam is still dangerous though.

Please, seriously read some basic laser safety information.

"Violet laser is better", better in doing what?

Any laser with equal power rating are equally harmful. The dim violet blurry dot of a 1W 405nm laser packs as much energy as the dot of a blindingly bright 1W 520nm laser.

The rule is, if there's anything in the sky, that COULD be a plane, you don't use the laser, but wait, till it's passed.

What if it's a hot air balloon or a helicopter or even a flying disk with people on board?!

That should not make it okay.

1 W of 405 nm blinds your eyes just as much as 1 W of 520 nm, your eyes just don't see it blinding them as well during the fraction-of-a-second-long process.