Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best laser diode for night vision optics

klop

So, I need a IR laser diode that I replace the existing LED Illuminator for night optics. He was very grateful for your suggestions where I can find such a diode. (Sorry for the my bad English)

Greeting Klop

A high powered IR LED will illuminate a lot better than a laser. I would recommend thst route.

klop

A high powered IR LED will illuminate a lot better than a laser. I would recommend thst route.
Thanks for the quick reply, but now it's built strong IR LEDs, but the range of the meet, so I thought to replace a laser diode that would have a greater range only to be similar flodd light.

Hello Klop

It wont at all be similar toa flood light though it will somewhat illuminate. Would be better of using an LED for flood and maybe a IR laser slightly defocused to illuminate specific things at distance.

klop

I tried the laser diode but we light was in the form of lines, so I'm looking to recreate the given round light, and I think we do not need stronger diode of 250 mW for this one I tested has a sufficient range only form inadequate.
(And again I apologize for the poor English and thank you for your efforts with answers)

Pics? You're not putting a lens in front of it are you? It will make a "line" but it should be fuzzy and diffuse. Why does it have to be a perfect lambertian pattern?

Fiddy

hey bloke,

heres my 9mm 1W 808nm running at 500mW under Gen1 NV

And a T0-3 3W 808nm running at 1.7W under Gen1 NV

klop

Crap that is bad. Maybe try running it through a glass diffuser.

It's an interesting idea, but where he could get diffusers that that line into a square or even better would be if you could get laser diode that emits light like a great light round point.

Hello Klop

Sadly such a diode does not yet exist. Single mode diodes have a square beam, but they don't have the
power you're looking for. You would be better off getting that Cree IR LED TheDuke recommended above.
That is what you should have gotten in the first place.

Last edited:
@ Fiddy

I just last week purchased the same NV unit you have, got a great deal on craigslist and paid $125 for it. What did you use to record the video output?