Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best "High quality" 532nm Pen in 2018?

94Z28

Hey all, been awhile and i apologize I have fallen off so much. I still use my lasers quite regularly but my work schedule has been crazy since i changed shifts.

Anyway, I killed my Hugsby XP red pocket build and wantes to replace it temporarily with an executive style 532nm pointer for presentations and classroom use.

Any leads on a clean looking 532nm pen?

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hi 94Z28, glad to hear from you! :yh:
I assume you're looking for a sub 5mW pen since you're using it for presentations and classroom use?

Some high quality (expensive) choices would be:

Optotronics
Z-Bolt
Laserglow

Edit: just found this.
Berlin Lasers

You could also go the ebay route for a cheaper pen, but you would lose the ability to know that your pen is <5mW.

Last edited:
I'm amazed at how good the cheap ones have become, just buy a handful, something like 10 x 532nm pens for 25 dollars and at least half of them will be really good.

Encap

This Z-bolt is a great one for doing presentations 3 to 5 mW , IR filter, High quality professionals type pen, both momentary and continuous on functions, APC (Automatic Power Control), choice of finish---not cheap but... see: Double Tap Green Laser Pointer - Special Circuit, Free Lanyard
They have an economy model with only momentary on as well several others here: Standard Green Laser Pointer - Metal or Wood Case

The others BowtieGuy mentioned are very good as well----none of them cheap but for your application/use I would suggest a good one.

Last edited:

Gazen

The ones on ebay will be over 5mW and have ir, will probably meter around 20-40mW. Optotronics have good, metered pens that ship from the US, so they will ship quickly, but these don't look as nice. Dragonlasers and laserglow(CNI resellers) have high quality pens that look great, albeit at a price. Laserglow has the Anser and Lyra series, and dragonlasers has the viper series. These will all be metered under 5mW.

Edit: You could also try a skylasers/btb pen, will have a low power mode for pointing and a high mode for fun at home :)
http://www.sky-lasers.com/sky-5mw-80mw-532nm-green-laser-pointer-pen-with-lock-black-white.html

Last edited:
For presentation my twenty dollar ebay 520nm direct pen is low power, I don't know if exactly 5mw but it's beam is faint and in a classroom with fluorescent lights overhead all you will see is the dot, there's no IR and they are durable, not prone to the problems of DPSS.

p.s. The dot right now indoors is not hard to look at, it's comfortable and the room I'm in is not brightly lit, it's something to think about.

---edit---

If you want a guaranteed 3-5mw good quality pointer and price is no object you can look at laserglow > https://www.laserglow.com/int-handheld.htm

Last edited:
At power levels from 5 mW up to a possible 40 mW, IR is the last thing you should be worried about. The presentation pens at $58 and up are way overpriced for what you get. As was suggested earlier, I'd buy ten of the eBay 532nm that run on AA batteries. Out of this, you will get several that work well and you will have spent maybe $25.00, tops.

Last edited:
That's what I was saying and I see Gazen also mentioned laserglow because OP want's to use for classroom presentation, so a guaranteed 3-5mw may be important, I was also thinking 520 direct limited to 5mw would be a solid choice.

Encap

At power levels from 5 mW up to a possible 40 mW, IR is the last thing you should be worried about. The presentation pens at $58 and up are way overpriced for what you get. As was suggested earlier, I'd buy ten of the eBay 532nm that run on AA batteries. Out of this, you will get several that work well and you will have spent maybe $25.00, tops.

Agree --is a good way to go if you want/need low price--but the are a crap shoot and cheap everything, as everyone has mentioned and not the "Best "High quality" 532nm Pen in 2018?"

Hey all, been awhile and i apologize I have fallen off so much. I still use my lasers quite regularly but my work schedule has been crazy since i changed shifts.

Anyway, I killed my Hugsby XP red pocket build and wantes to replace it temporarily with an executive style 532nm pointer for presentations and classroom use.

Any leads on a clean looking 532nm pen?

High quality in many different wavelengths w. automatic power control can be found here--same company supplies Z-bolt @ $22- $72 GLP-R Laser Pen, 532nm Green Laser Pen, APC Circuit, Constant Output Power, Polished Chrome Finish, Green Laser Pointer, View laser pen, Shanghai Lasers Product Details from Shanghai Laser & Optics Century Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

These high quality host pens are made in Taiwan by the company LightVision Technologies. LightVision Technologies, Corp. In their download section that show several different configurations of the same pen and finishes. See: http://www.lightvision.com.tw/pdf/DM/DM-02.pdf
They have been around since 2000 and established customers early on and those companies still buy and resell the established product line of them. So they really are laser pens from times past when there were no low cost mass produced pens. Much smaller market today but still made for those who want them.

Hap had one and it was a very nice pen still made the same as before mass produced low cost iffy quality for the mass market were made:--great pictures also. See thread : https://laserpointerforums.com/f41/carolina-biological-supply-laser-series-thoughts-review-101522.html

Depends on your budget, quality desires/sensibilities. and intended use in the everyday world.

PS Roithner in Germany sells these Automatic Power Control <5mW pens also see; Roithner Lasertechnik - Laser Pointers, 532 nm

Last edited:
That's what I was saying and I see Gazen also mentioned laserglow because OP want's to use for classroom presentation, so a guaranteed 3-5mw may be important, I was also thinking 520 direct limited to 5mw would be a solid choice.

I agree that LaserLands 5-8 mW 520nm laser would be good, but the host is quite large for a class room pointer. I still think 10 random eBay pens would yield at least three good ones for less than $25.00.

Last edited:
Oh, yeah. I forgot about that one. It would likely make a good pointer and the price is right, too.

94Z28

5mW is a plus of course but not to worried about IR unless its an unreal amount. Even if its a little over 5mw i wouldnt worry; but I didn't really want to get the regular old pen host, I wanted something a little more "executive pen" style.

/edit: I do like the ll 520 though.

Last edited:

Gazen

5mW is a plus of course but not to worried about IR unless its an unreal amount. Even if its a little over 5mw i wouldnt worry; but I didn't really want to get the regular old pen host, I wanted something a little more "executive pen" style.

CNI resellers (dragonlasers and Laserglow) have the nicest looking, most “executive” pens imo

Encap

If you are only going to get one and intend to use it for presentation purposes-- "executive" quality makes sense.

Check out the pens in post #9---they are really excellent quality like used to be commonly available before the advent of $1.99 mass produce lowest possible cost to make pens

Razako

For classy and safe <5mw pointers you really cannot go wrong with LaserGlow. I've never hesitated to recommend their Lyra series or give them as a gift.

Last edited: