Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best GEESE CHASING semi-cheap laser options

Hacktavist

Hey all. New here. Im needing advise in buying a good laser to chase geese away during daylight hours. Agrilight has one, but they're in UK or somewhere else other than US, their prices aren't in USD, and quite frankly their info is lacking.
1) The theory: You can use a bright powerful laser to chase birds and geese away. The beam looks to be around a foot in diameter at a long distance, and that looks about perfect. Doing this can make my life easier as compared to using dogs or explosions. Several companies and youtube videos show its very effective.
2) The need: Something bright enough to work in daylight, from a long distance away. You "walk" the beam up to the geese and they fly away thinking its a small predator. Can be electric or battery operated. Prefer to NOT pay $700 like on the aforementioned site. I don't need a fancy case, goggles, etc. It wont be used more than a couple times a year, but it needs to work when Its utilized. So no cheap disposable Chinese stuff. Prefer $20 - $200. Depending upon value.
3) Whats the CHEAPEST option? Will a plain old $8 ebay china laser work? On the other end, When would I hit a spot where its just extreme overkill?
4) Which type of laser? How many watts? Which frequency? Which brands do you recommend? Which batter source?
Thanks!

Hi, For one thing it isn't good house a laser for geese control. It will not work for long and you can end up blinding the animal. I would find another way to control them like a nice border collie or shilouetes of dogs on the lawn or are that are frequented buy the fowl.
here where I reside we have hundreds if not thousands of Candian geese all over . These are the few ways of dealing with them safely.
Be kind to these animal they are only trying to survive .
Good luck and be safe.
Rich:)

GSS

Rich, I was playing with a Seagull on a light poll with the PLB5201 host you built for me. Doing around 170mw. Doing it safely from about at least 1/2 of football field away and knowing the spot would be big at that point.

Hacktavist, I never aimed it from the start at the gull, just below but as I started to bring it up the laser beam the gull always took off before the spot even came close which is good.
The thing is the gull always went back to the same spot on the poll instantly when I stop pointing like Lifetime mentioned. Easily 20 times in a row.
How Geese react I don't know? but I would think even if you made them leave one spot with repeated laser attempts, they would just nest some where very close??