Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best for burning

midias

I seen a pic in another thread....but I'm 28 years old WHY in the Hell would i risk jail time for a psp....Damn ...thanks Weidmark good lookin out

Wow 28 really? Are you really that old?

But I guess if I wanted to burn a string I would probably go hi wattage 445 in hopes of making a larger hole and letting gravity help me with the rest.

midias

405 too 445 makes that big of a difference??

Without a lens 405 produces a round circle and 445 being multimode is more like a rectangle. When you focus you can get a finer dot with 405 but the hole would be smaller.

But seriously, burning your string for whatever reason you want to.... is going to be fairly easy with both lasers. It might take a more steady hand with a 405 but whatever one you decide on is going to work fine.

oic0

Going to run in to a small issue with the glass being... well... reflective. Going to need some better than cheapy glasses to protect from that and going to need to be in a room with no chance of people during the procedure. Basically you are going to spend about 200+ to burn a string. You could maybe accomplish the same thing with a $40-50 red and cheaper glasses. Or heck, maybe for a $5 if you can carry it to a window and use the sun with a magnifying glass or fresnel.

Arayan

the best ratio power/price is due by IR lasers. For example an 808 nm laser pointer (properly focused) is the best pointer for burning. BTW you can calculate the "burning power" by the following formula:

BP=power/(π(beam diameter-beam divergence*distance)^2)/2