Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best focal point.

Rachel

Can a basic glass magnifying glass combine 4 laser to one point safely? I don't want any deflection, reflection, refraction.

And tips on getting the best lense of high quality grade of glass magnifying ?

diachi

I don't want any deflection, reflection, refraction.

Well then it won't work, seeing as lenses work by refracting light. Not to mention all optics will reflect some of the light entering them...

But yes, in all seriousness ... it can be done, but maybe not the way you're thinking. What are you trying to achieve? How are you planning to go about it? I suggest you read about some basic optics terminology, maybe look at an online introduction to optics.

Safety is going to be up to you to implement...

Take a look at this, is this similar to what you want to achieve? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzUoe-9bKa0

Last edited:

Encap

Well then it won't work, seeing as lenses work by refracting light. Not to mention all optics will reflect some of the light entering them...

What diachi says---you can't avoid all properties of optics and still use optics LOL

Can a basic glass magnifying glass combine 4 laser to one point safely? I don't want any deflection, reflection,refraction.
And tips on getting the best lense of high quality grade of glass magnifying ?

No. You can not combine the 4 laser beams. Lasers only work that way in imagination/an imaginary world. See: http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/reference-guide-how-combine-lasers-77449.html

The best you can do is focus all 4 individually onto a single focal point and that is the only point where there will be combined output power power at a single point or combine 2 at a time with PBS cubes reducing the number of beams to 2 then aiming them and focusing them a simgle focal point.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

diachi

The best you can do is focus all 4 individually onto a single focal point and that is the only point where there will be combined output power power at a single point.

I thought that's what OP was asking about...?

I agree OP - if you want to combine them into a single beam that's not the way to go about it.

You can focus them all to roughly the same spot with a lens, but even that isn't ideal. You'd get better results by combining and then focusing.

Encap

I thought that's what OP was asking about...?

I agree OP - if you want to combine them into a single beam that's not the way to go about it.

You can focus them all to roughly the same spot with a lens, but even that isn't ideal. You'd get better results by combining and then focusing.

She did say "combine", and I didn't know if she meant beams or dots--could be either--so answered about combining beams and about focusing 4 individual dots on a single focal point.

She could use 2 PBS to reduce to 2 beams then a single PBS cube t get one beam and then focus that onto a single focal point.

Not sure what she wants to accomplish/do??

Last edited:

diachi

She could use 2 PBS to reduce to 2 beams then a single PBS cube t get one beam and then focus that onto a single focal point.

No she couldn't, that isn't how PBS cubes work, the last PBS would split the two beams you've already combined back into individual beams and you'd be exactly where you started before the last PBS cube.

Encap

No she couldn't, that isn't how PBS cubes work, the last PBS would split the two beams you've already combined back into individual beams and you'd be exactly where you started before the last PBS cube.

Oops you are 100% right---not thinking-brain fog -- am in the middle of 3 other things at the same time. lol

Best if she can say what it is she wants to accomplish. Whatever it is it is probably not as easily done in the real world as in imagination.

Last edited:

diachi

Oops you are 100% right---not thinking-brain fog -- am in the middle of 3 other things at the same time. lol

No worries, I know how it goes! :p

Best if she can say what it is she wants to accomplish. Whatever it is it is probably not as easily done in the real world as in imagination.

Agreed!

Rachel

Hi all thanks you for ur quick to help :)

I want to achieve what Diachi linked me with styropyros 200W laser principle. Not 200W's though..

Will a normal household magnifying glass work? Or do I need something offline abit more purer grade. Thanks

diachi

Hi all thanks you for ur quick to help :)

I want to achieve what Diachi linked me with styropyros 200W laser principle. Not 200W's though..

Will a normal household magnifying glass work? Or do I need something offline abit more purer grade. Thanks

Why are you trying to do this? Do you just want to burn things?