Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best 2000mW 445nm laser

Gentlemen,

I have been eyeing a 500mW+ laser for more than 5 years and would finally like to take the plunge. Having owned several 200mW pointers, I have acquainted myself with the physics of optics and safety precautions enough to finally feel comfortable handling a powerful 2W piece of hardware (445nm). Having researched a good amount, I still find it difficult to decide which one to go for. I started getting interested by seeing the WL Arctic 2W laser in action a few years ago, but having lurked on LPF long enough, I'm more than convinced that I should stay away from WL Arctic et al.

Everyone praises Laserbtb.com, so wanted to see what people think about this one in the 2000mW variant:

PL 405/445nm 500-2000mW

Otherwise, happy to hear other suggestions. I know many suggest buying from other forum members like 'Blord', but I wouldn't know where to begin.

Any guidelines, parameters I potentially haven't thought about are welcome.

Thanks,
Feynman

Hi and welcome to the forum!
Yes many people here recommend Laserbtb and forum members for buying lasers. I have not actually bought anything from a forum member so I also don't know where to start but then again I am not shopping for a member-made laser at the moment. Another great site to consider buying a laser from is Sci-Fi-Lasers. They sell high quality 2w-2.4w lasers for $145 in metal flashlight hosts. The owner of the site is also a member of LPF (TheJoker301) and is very well trusted.
Only other site I can think of that sells cheap lasers with higher quality parts is JetLasers. I hear they are also a good company to buy from.

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated. Searching further, I've noticed a few threads detailing questionable experiences with LaserBTB communication and shipping in recent past. One thread mentioned that focus at 10m for one of the red lasers was an issue. Anyone else notice recent deterioration in quality?

Slightly overwhelmed by choices. This thread gives a very good summary of quality lasers at various wavelengths/power outputs: http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/h...ality-lasers-different-wavelengths-90062.html

Last edited:
Ah yes, Laserglow is like the Rolls-Royce of laser products. They sell some of the highest quality lasers and are probably the best place to buy from IF you have the money. They are also VERY expensive lasers. They are located in Canada and buy their lasers from CNI which is well known for their laser builds.
On the other hand, people also recommend Laserbtb due to their much more affordable prices but still maintaining decent quality products.
It is up to you!
You get what you pay for! (Most of the time)

Last edited:
willing to spend a bit more?

If you want something I think is more special, check this out:

https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/m462-462nm-laser-diode

462nm is more blue than 445nm meaning any amount of power it outputs will be brighter than an equal powered 445nm. I have one and the color is glorious, no trace of violet. in fact, compared side by side with 445nm it makes the 445nm look almost 405nm to me. (add a real 504nm to dispell the illusion)

I recently had DTR send one of these with a short back half (for better heat transfer), as well as a seperate driver with leads, set to 1.2A (to get about 1500mW anyway, 1.7A will give 2W, but be worse for the diode) sent to Ehgemus to build into a custom host. the host ran me almost $100, the driver and diode about another $200, (28$ less if you get a single element lens from aixiz, and have the stock one sent from DTR, do not use plastic lenses with a unit like this)

Here is the result I'll have soon:http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k13/ehgemus/FADE0811-C13A-4DEC-B58D-8D64B9F9E3B2_zps2sqj1zp1.jpg

good safety glasses are a must

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated. Searching further, I've noticed a few threads detailing questionable experiences with LaserBTB communication and shipping in recent past. One thread mentioned that focus at 10m for one of the red lasers was an issue. Anyone else notice recent deterioration in quality?

Slightly overwhelmed by choices. This thread gives a very good summary of quality lasers at various wavelengths/power outputs: http://laserpointerforums.com/f44/h...ality-lasers-different-wavelengths-90062.html

Oh wow, you actually linked to my thread! Thanks man :D

-Alex