Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ben joins the 445nm club

vk2fro

Sorry, I get the idea of low temp <445 and high temp >445 but.... what?

And how with increased current, heat inevatibly increases as the diode dissapates more power within itself, and thats where the temperature comes from that changes the nm wavelength. So really to make it bluer you could just turn it up a bit, but you would have to turn up your other lasers to keep it in balance which would be a bit expensive, but very cool. :eg:

vk2fro

Ah ok - thanks for that

No I want to keep his projector relatively eye safe (well at least below class IV.

I'll be turning down my green as 150mw will overpower the blue unless I turn the blue up to an insane power level.

are you sure? whats the conversion ratio, because my green is almost invisible next to my blue, granted its 1.6W but still.... I thought it would be the red that would have trouble keeping up.

vk2fro

His is only a teal projector - green through to purple to keep the costs down. he already has enough single colour projectors to outfit a couple of small nightclubs LOL

I thought it was 4 red 4 blue 1 green

vk2fro

Guys do you think my module has enough heatsinking for short runs at 1 watt so I can see what this little puppy can do. Obviously I'll need to increase the heatsinking on my flexmod :)

(I got my new goggles today)

yeah, my pointer does 1.65w and the diode hs is much smaller I can do 5mins before it gets too hot. People also have builds running at 1000ma with no driver heat sinking but if your doing really long runs you will need it.

vk2fro

Ok lets see what this little diode can do at 1.2 amps :)

*warming up soldering iron to detach diode*

vk2fro

I cranked her up to 1.2 amps and had a play. Not as impressive as the co2 laser I have played with, and my 1 watt greenie leaves it for dead.

Its going into a projector, at quite a bit less power :)

mind you, at 1.2 amps, laser glasses are a must!!!!!!!

Things I tried:
Heatshrink - didnt stand a chance
White paper - sat there and said "you got more?"
My hand. OUCH!
the cat (just kidding!)
Solder wire - makes a nifty cutter if you can hold it still long enough
My drapes - focus it right and smoke spills of them!
A match - instantly ignites both the head and the wood
Balloon: I'm out of em, grew out of that phase!

So when burning stuff with a ~1 watt laser, dont go sticking your hand in the beam. Its rather painful.

Cheers
Ben

Last edited:
You know I seem to be the only one who can't set things to flame, I can get anything to smoke and smolder but never to burn.... I feel so left out:(

vk2fro

Did you focus the laser beam? I focused mine to a fine dot (and in the process burned myself, hence the "skin" test) and it bursts matches into flame easily (the wood, not the head)

It works! I thought it was focused when it looked tight on the the wall, but when I focused it more on the wood success!! Good tip thanks!

vk2fro

focus it down to a fine spot (you can do this with the aixiz lens, and you can even light a cigarette off the laser. These things are amazingly powerful. Wear goggles of course, and remember, the beam isnt as bright as a greenie of the same power but it is just as dangerous!