Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Been a few years - what wattages are we up to now?

I've been on here on & off since the very beginning. Every few years I pop on to get updated. Last time I was on here around 2017 I picked up several 445nm 3W blues (they're still alive amazingly!) Looking around now I believe I'm seeing that 8W diodes may be available? Looking for some direction as to what a good burner might be (campfire lighter from a few feet away), and availability preferably with drivers as modules. I see DTR has some drivers that go up to 8 Amps if the diodes don't come with drivers themselves. Thanks all --Dave

These are probably the highest output blue diodes currently available:

Thanks very much! These look like they should do the trick - I can use the Black Buck 8M with these since that can handle up to 8 Amps, and the NUBM4F maxes out at 6 Amps... correct? We've come a long way from popping balloons and cutting electrical tape! :)

Thanks very much! These look like they should do the trick - I can use the Black Buck 8M with these since that can handle up to 8 Amps, and the NUBM4F maxes out at 6 Amps... correct? We've come a long way from popping balloons and cutting electrical tape! :)
Yes, the BB8 is a good driver for these if you have the space for it. The driver must be adhered to a heatsink of some sorts so it won't burn up.

As for power, you've also get the newish diode arrays, I think up to 100+ Watts, but given horrible beam(s) quality, not that useful/usable (also not that affordable either).

Are the NUBM4F significantly stronger than the normal NUBM44-V2?

Hi,
The 44 diodes are crazy powerful Smackitup sells them and they are great diodes. Yes you will need a heat sink to keep the driver cool and a main heat sink to keep the diode cool from the wasted heat they put out.
Rich:)