Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

beam shot of 300mW magenta setup

Zom-B

I was aiming my violet and red lasers through a polarized beamsplitter/combiner to make the beams coincident for an unrelated experiment. While I was at it I thought, why not take some magenta beam shots at maximum power? I tried, but as always, my camera is hyperactive for near-UV and the shots either look blue or red, but not magenta. Even with the violet laser just above threshold current, the beam is blue, and below that it's red. To not disappoint you, I photoshopped a false-color picture of what it approximately looks like to my eyes, but still it lacks the contrast. This magenta is just such a PURE saturated color, it can not possibly be captured by an RGB system.

Hpim4722_small.jpg

Hpim4712_small.jpg

False-color. In real life, the magenta is much more saturated than this.
Hpim4712-false_small.jpg

Hpim4710_small.jpg

Hpim4708_small.jpg

Camera fail! This is at a weak setting, with about 0.5mW of violet and 10mW of red
Hpim4706_small.jpg

Benm

I'm sure it looks quite spectacular to the eye - it is an odd combination of wavelengths rarely encountered in nature. As for the camera getting it right, you'd probably need to replace that bluray with a 473 dpss.

cool!! i have done this too with a dichro and got about that color as well but i was holding both things with my hand so i couldnt get a picture. my camera does love 405 though so i should try a picture

Zom-B

Benm said:
I'm sure it looks quite spectacular to the eye - it is an odd combination of wavelengths rarely encountered in nature. As for the camera getting it right, you'd probably need to replace that bluray with a 473 dpss.

Right, 150mW of 473 :cool: I still think my wallet is not yet that deep ::)