Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

BDR 205 diodes by themselves

I am interested in doing a 405 build, and I was wondering if people sell the BDR 205 diodes by themselves? or will I have to take apart the drive? Im kinda new to this whole thing..

Lazer Envy

Unless you're buying from someone you know personally or some person or company here with really good rep, you're probably better off getting a drive yourself. Then you know exactly what diode you're getting.

Last edited:
Unless your buying from someone you know personally or some person or company here with really good rep, your probably better off getting a drive yourself. Then you know exactly what diode your getting.

Okay, and I'm assuming its reasonably difficult to harvest these diodes from the drive?

Haven't dealt with a BR drive yet (but i'm planning on ordering a 12x lite-on drive the 15th when I get paid again) But in the DVDR's i've scavenged, it's usually not terribly difficult. Just don't get in a hurry, and observe proper ESD methods so you don't accidently zap the diode with static.

There are how-to's posted in various places here on extracting diodes from sleds. Use the search, Luke. :D

I notice your sig says 445 now as well. 445 will be easier. Just order a diode from one of the many many group buys and other people selling them here. Just REMEMBER... these lasers are VERY dangerous... Make sure you get proper glasses for the wavelengths you're using.. And if you're showing it off, make sure everybody exposed to it has them as well..

Last edited:
Haven't dealt with a BR drive yet (but i'm planning on ordering a 12x lite-on drive the 15th when I get paid again) But in the DVDR's i've scavenged, it's usually not terribly difficult. Just don't get in a hurry, and observe proper ESD methods so you don't accidently zap the diode with static.

There are how-to's posted in various places here on extracting diodes from sleds. Use the search, Luke. :D

Okay, thanks! I'm thinking about making a 405 cause I like the color. Should I start with a 12x?

Okay, thanks! I'm thinking about making a 405 cause I like the color. Should I start with a 12x?

Depends on the power you want, and what you have to spend. a PHR diode will generally run you less than $10 and will get you ~120mw I think it is, while the cheapest 12x BR drive I know of is the lite-on, which will set you back $160 or so for the drive and usually do >500mw

1 watt 445 casio diodes are $35-$50 in the BST and GB threads, but unless you have previous laser experience, I'm not sure this would be the best thing for your first build. There are definite eyesight and property damage risks associated with them, though realistically any laser between 300nm and 1000nm I think it is, >10mw or so poses real eyesight risks. ALWAYS use proper safety glasses for the wavelengths your dealing with.

I think i'd personally start with a PHR. If you accidentally kill it, you're not out much cash.

Last edited:

Kevlar

a 12X is fairly expensive for a first, or even a second build. If you mess it up there goes over $100 bucks down the tube. If you like the 405nm color why not try a 6X? You can get them from here: HighTechDealZ - 405nm 6x Blu Ray GGWH20L Sled

And the sled comes with a 16X red LCC diode, which can be driven up towards 400mA giving you approx 300mW!!!

Also, if your're new to extracting diodes. The 6X sled comes with an cheap IR diode, which is basically only good for practicing on :yh:

Last edited:
Unless your buying from someone you know personally or some person or company here with really good rep, your probably better off getting a drive yourself. Then you know exactly what diode your getting.

Pet peeve of mine is the incorrect usage of "your". The advice is good though ;)
(also check your "accidentally")

The BDR-205 is easy enough to extract with expertise, but it might be worth starting with a cheaper diode for practice first. If you are not confident enough, or don't get any practice, then it might be worth getting another member to do it for you - especially if you have someone locally.

Pet peeve of mine is the incorrect usage of "your". The advice is good though ;)
(also check your "accidentally")

AIEEEE!!! I've been grammar nazi'd! :tsk: lol. Fixed. Happy now? :whistle:

On a side note I can't wait for my 445's to get here. Sucks that I have to wait three weeks for my hosts to show up from china. :yabbem:

Last edited:

Sure about that...? :na:

I have a 445nm diode unused as-of-yet as well, I can't wait until I get around to playing with it. One is enough for me - but pontiacg5 has all 24 focused on one point, it's incredible!

Sure about that...? :na:

I have a 445nm diode unused as-of-yet as well, I can't wait until I get around to playing with it. One is enough for me - but pontiacg5 has all 24 focused on one point, it's incredible!

I am now. :cryyy: Found four more. Now stop it. :twak:

:D

I don't have my diodes yet either though other than a handful of various power 650's, but without the hosts, there's not much I could do anyway. Though I do have a pile of radial heatsinks. Guess I could bore a 12mm hole in one and make a labby for the time being. Providing the diodes beat the hosts in arrival.

I am now. :cryyy: Found four more. Now stop it. :twak:

:D

I don't have my diodes yet either though other than a handful of various power 650's, but without the hosts, there's not much I could do anyway. Though I do have a pile of radial heatsinks. Guess I could bore a 12mm hole in one and make a labby for the time being. Providing the diodes beat the hosts in arrival.

I counted 8 typos at the time of my last post, if you include errors in capitalisation. Still a way to go then ;)

It's always worth waiting for a nice host - I love the Dorcy and Dark_Horse's designs, but he's not been around recently, unfortunately. Jayrob's kits are also amazing, and his service is second to none (to match his unbeatable prices).