Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Battery not handling load properly?

Hello LFPers,

I have two AW 18650 2600 mAh batteries that I use with my ~1.2 W 445 laser and have realized that one of them allows the laser to run for more than 10 minutes straight without flashing once, whereas the other one starts flashing after about 4-5 minutes at room temperature (22 C). The laser does get pretty toasty, but why is it that with one battery, it flashes earlier than the other one? This has definitely something to do with the battery because the laser is getting hot after a few minutes anyway...

Thanks!

jayrob

Sounds like one battery is just newer than the other...

They will degrade in time. And we are pushing them hard with builds like yours.

Still yet, 4 or 5 minutes is a long run! Cheaper batteries will probably not last 30 seconds at that current draw your laser is most likely taking...

Sounds like one battery is just newer than the other...

They will degrade in time. And we are pushing them hard with builds like yours.

Still yet, 4 or 5 minutes is a long run! Cheaper batteries will probably not last 30 seconds at that current draw your laser is most likely taking...

I actually figured out the problem! Turns out it had nothing to do with the batteries, it was just about the driver overheating and causing that flashing.

After having stuck the driver to the host's body, the problem vanished completely. I did realize that when one of the batteries had a voltage of around 3.1 V, the current draw from the battery was measured to be something like 2.5 A, which caused the laser to flicker at a rate of about 5 Hz and eventually, it stopped lasing.

I am guessing that has something to do with the V in of the driver and not a battery problem because I've read somewhere that these can handle current draws of around 5 A! Amen to AW batteries!