Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Battery long term storage levels

Hey hey,
So I'd ordered a few batteries from liionwholesale, and really more than I needed and likely to see very little if any use.
From my days in RC with LiPos it was recommended to discharge a battery to a storage level when it wasn't going to be used for awhile.
Should I do the same with the 18650s and 14400s I bought?

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Hey hey,
So I'd ordered a few batteries from liionwholesale, and really more than I needed and likely to see very little if any use.
From my days in RC with LiPos it was recommended to discharge a battery to a storage level when it wasn't going to be used for awhile.
Couldn't hurt

Dusty_Lenses

Hey hey,
Every time I find a deal on quality 10440's and harder to find sizes I buy extra even when I dont need them. I check all the cells and charge / discharge to 3.8V before I put them away. I hear its an ideal voltage for long term storage.

Yes dusty is correct, you don't want to store them discharged !
Also it's best not to store them fully charged which would be about 4.2V ....... if you're storing long term you want them at nominal voltage which is 3.5-3.7V. for long term storage which will yield the least degradation.

I think my charger has a preset voltage it discharges to based on battery chemistry, been quite a while since I've used it.
But it 3.5-3.8 seems it was around the recommended storage level.
One of the chargers that came with one of my el cheapo Cool Lasers laser will get sacrificed as a battery connector.
I'll post back once I do with voltage and a pic. While I don't use it often, I love my old Bantam e-Station charger/balancer.

So I soldered up a battery holder, ran the wires out through where the AC prongs were and up the sides where I tinned them and hot glued to act as posts I can clip on the alligator leads that came with the charger.
Selecting the LiIo profile gives me a default storage v of 3.6v and out of the box it was 3.7v.
I may leave well enough alone being the max discharge rate is 1A, and currently only running at 0.7a, even 0.1v is going to take awhile. Thinking I'll just check the batteries and see if they're within range lol
Here's my charger, older now but still a goody.
IMG_20221121_105905319_HDR.jpg