Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Batteries don’t fit into my laser?

Elyekim

Hello everyone, so recently I bought a a laser from sanwu. The Striker Saber 525nm 1.2W. I received 69mm long batteries that came with it (the brand was Tuofeng) but one of the batteries stopped giving a charge, leading to me buying a new pair of batteries.

I tried buying Samsung’s batteries which had the same output (3.7v, 3000mah, 18650) buy they were way too small, there was wiggle room between them in the casing. I tried LG, and looked for a 69mm one, but the battery was just too wide for my lasers casing and I don’t think it was long enough—still. I also tried purchasing a button top model and that still doesn’t work.

Should I make something to connect the two Samsung batteries? Like a piece of metal between them?

Last edited:

You can make a spacer ( copper puck wrapped in plastic ) or some people use neodymium magnets but I don't recommend that, I do solder a wad of solder on top of my cells and sand it flat or you can buy an exact replacement below.

The batteries from Sanwu are probably protected cells.
They are a bit longer than regular cells. I'd get some
protected cells or as RedCowboy stated use a metal
spacer to make up the difference.
If the spring in the tail cap is long enough you may be
able to stretch the spring to make contact.

Jerry

Hi, As mentioned from Red and Jerry the solder on the pos+ end will help if they are to short in the tube, Some flats do not pert rude out far enough to make contact with. the other cell.
Second as for the spring I have encountered an issue with a short sprint on a striker laser. I desoldered a longer spring and done .
As Jerry said try pulling the spring out enough to make contact that works without having to solder ,,

Rich:)

First of all that can't can't be a 575nm laser. That is a yellow wavelength. Anyone here would kill to have a 1.2 watt 575nm handheld laser. It would be helpful if you specified which batteries you are trying to get. Are they 16340s or 18350s? I kind of doubt they would be 18650s.

I'm sure OP meant 525nm and as his cells are 69mm I would think he meant 18650 ( OP said Striker saber ) which are 18mm wide and 65.0mm long on average and I suspect the cheap Chinese cells have a bulky protection board making them longer.

I use the solder blob like this sometimes.
Give the top a light sanding, use a 100w soldering gun and get it good and hot fast.
Scratch the solder blob into the end with your guns tip while molten/liquid
Sand the blob flat. ( caution solder contains lead )

Note: Don't cook your batteries, get in there and get it done quick and remember you do so at your own risk so safety glasses are never a bad idea as is a safe work area. :D I have never had any problem doing this but I also pay attention and I am prepared to respond if there ever was an issue

Last edited:

Elyekim

Thank you for your individual responses. I realize I left out the “18650” bit, and mistakenly put 575nm instead of 525nm.

I think I will play around with the solder and tug on the spring a little. I just didn’t know if soldering or sticking a piece of metal between the batteries would result in some sort of injury or accident (I don’t know much about electrical stuff).

Elyekim

You can make a spacer ( copper puck wrapped in plastic ) or some people use neodymium magnets but I don't recommend that, I do solder a wad of solder on top of my cells and sand it flat or you can buy an exact replacement below.

Why wouldn’t you recommend neodymium magnets? I have little hockey-puck shaped ones that could easily do the trick.

If your magnet wanders and manages to push against the inside of the host's case it can short out a battery. These batteries have been known to catch fire if shorted.

XM360

Hello everyone, so recently I bought a a laser from sanwu. The Striker Saber 525nm 1.2W. I received 69mm long batteries that came with it (the brand was Tuofeng) but one of the batteries stopped giving a charge, leading to me buying a new pair of batteries.

I tried buying Samsung’s batteries which had the same output (3.7v, 3000mah, 18650) buy they were way too small, there was wiggle room between them in the casing. I tried LG, and looked for a 69mm one, but the battery was just too wide for my lasers casing and I don’t think it was long enough—still. I also tried purchasing a button top model and that still doesn’t work.

Should I make something to connect the two Samsung batteries? Like a piece of metal between them?

I went through this same issue with this laser in the Challenger host. After visiting a few battery stores I found these:

They fit good and have worked fine so far.

Attachments

• 89BDE941-56F7-43A6-AB45-19FB3B3EA1C0.jpeg
    89BDE941-56F7-43A6-AB45-19FB3B3EA1C0.jpeg
    270.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 5F1C6401-5931-4564-B266-66A89FAA0F37.jpeg
    5F1C6401-5931-4564-B266-66A89FAA0F37.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 3