Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Balder&Crelant 14500/AA Flashlights Also Thoughts, and Recommendations?

So as I'm sure many of you are aware, there was recently a major hurricane up in the North East of the US.

Skip below for the lights overview.

I was fortunate in that I only lost power for literally a few hours, at night, and not longer. Many of my friends, and relatives were not so lucky with regards to power, and were without lights for well over a week in some cases.

While I have any number of flashlights, I was not equipped to handle a power outage of more than three-four days, had it happened.

As a result of the hurricane, I have been looking at my flashlight collection with a very critical mindset, and now have certain requirements I would like to implement.

1. All new lights I buy MUST tail stand.

Surprising this is very often overlooked by manufacturers, but IMO is a an absolute must. You will find yourself needing to use both hands in the dark, and being able to simply put down the light to shine at the ceiling, providing light for the whole room is extremely useful.

2. Lights must be able to run off of alkalines, nimhs, and lithium batteries. Out of curiosity I called two brick and mortar camping supplies stores... nether one carried rechargeable lithium batteries. One did have surefire primaries in two packs... and at insane prices (more than double the online price).

Of course at the same time, AA, AAA, and 9V batteries are extremely common place, and usually fairly cheap. IMO the ability to swap batteries on the fly is invaluable.

3. Lights must have modes. Fact is, with newer flashlights, they often produce much more light than is actually needed. Most of my handheld flashlight are easily able to match the output of my nightstand light, or average desk lamp. Unfortunately this drains the batteries quickly.

So IMO modes are a must, because sometimes you will not have a spare set of batteries on hand, and will need to stretch out the usefulness of the light as much as possible.

So far I have tried out two lights, that I thought might fit my criteria. The Balder HD-1 1xAA/14500 CREE XM-L U2, and the Crelant V11A XM-L U2 FLASHLIGHT AA/14500.

The cheapest price I could find for the Balder HD1 was from Lighthound. It is re-branded with the lighthound name, but the light is identical.

The Crelant was from SBflashlights. Not sure if it still works, but using " Crelant " as a coupon code took 15% off, and if you order over $50 shipping is free.

The Balder HD1 is a tiny, TINY light. I will post some pictures later, but it's size is a great plus. There are now issues whatsoever with construction, or coating, although the threading could be better.

Balder Pros;
-Size.
-Output. (Impressive on both AA, and more so on 14500).
-Feel and look. (It's a very cool looking light).

Balder Cons;
-User interface. Despite the fact that it looks like it has a tail clickie, it does not! It has a plunger, with a spring attached. To turn the light on, you press and hold the plunger for about .5-1 second.
-To turn off the light you hold the plunger down for 2-3 seconds! This is the biggest problem I have with this light. That it is difficult to turn off.
-Inconsistency with turning on, off, and switching modes. Sometimes when you tap the plunger, instead of switching to low power, it turns off instead!
-Heat buildup. If you leave this light on high, with a 14500, you're likely to kill it. It gets VERY hot very fast. With a AA not a problem, but definitely an issue with a 14500. I have yet to test it on medium, with a 14500, but I suspect it will end up still overheating.

Overall;
-The Balder HD1 is an interesting little AA light.
-Due to size it is a flooder, and has very little throw.
-Works well with AA, alkalines or nimh batteries.
-IMO, dangerous to use with 14500.

The Crelant V11A is a surprising large light, considering the battery size it is mean for. This is because the top portion of this light is interchangeable with the battery tubes for using two AA batteries, or 1x16340 battery.

Pros;
-Output.
-Construction.
-Flood/throw balance.

Cons;
-Size. For a AA/14500 it is simply too large.
-Mode switching/tail cap switch is very stiff.
-Tail cap protrudes .5mm outside of the surrounding tailcap body... it will tailstand, but not super steady.
-Biggest problem - it runs poorly on AA, alkalines, and especially Nihms.

Overall;
It's a nice enough light, worth a try, if you can get it for under $35. IMO it is the runt of the litter, as Crelant lights go. Not quite up to the standards of their other offerings. (I own four different crelants.)

The Balder HD1 and the Crelant V11A are essentially polar opposites as 14500/AA lights go. One is fantastic with AA's the other is better with 14500's.

What I would like, is a balance between these two lights. Preferably in the same price range ($25-$35) although I'm willing to go higher if need be.

What lights can you guys recommend that fit these criteria?

Blord

I have worked with the Rook flashlight. It comes in different names like Black Shadows Rook or Fandyfire Rook. The flashlight has all the features you requested. Here is a review, Review: Fandyfire Rook (Cree XM-L T6 | 3 x AA or 3 x 14500) | BudgetLightForum.com
You can put three AA alkaline batteries in and put it away. You can store it for several years and the light is readily available when switch on. Alkaline has a shelf life of about 7 to 10 years.

You may also look in the Lithium AA. Lithium AA batteries are very durable and perform extremely well in a wide range of temperatures, making them the ideal choice for use in harsh climates. Lithium AA batteries may last up to seven times as long as alkaline AA batteries and are suitable for use in heavy-duty devices or when you do not want to replace batteries as often. Lithium AA batteries are not rechargeable, however.

Last edited:
Hmm, so far I have been limiting my options essentially to single cell configurations.

Any suggestions for a single AA/14500 light?

I have never thought about using Lithium AA's... that's definitely worth looking into, thank you for the tip.

Edit: The Rook does look good, but seems to be kind of big/thick for pocket carry.

Last edited:
I've got an Ultrafire A10 that has worked fine for a long time. ~5 years, maybe totalling an hour or two a week. Simple and cheap. Main downside is that the aluminum is a bit on the soft side, so the crenelations get dents when you drop it on concrete. Also, NO MODES! (so, not really a great recommendation for you, now that I think about it) It is brightest on 14500, about the same brightness for alkaline/nimh. It is the only reason why I have an ultrafire brand battery, rest of mine are 18650. Thought about trying to pick up some of those old sanyo 14500s. But yeah, if price is a very strong point, and you can live with just on/off, this might could fit the bill.

You might consider saving the light engine from a AA laser host build, and converting it to use a driver that can take AA/lithium ion. If I could afford a balder or crelant, I think they make nice looking lights with good features.

Well, in terms of quality, Crelant has really impressed me for the most part. The V11A is the least nice light, but it's still far, far beyond the cheapies out there. For under $30 I certainly don't regret the purchase.

No modes is really a deal breaker for me... on high, basically all of my lights would make looking at a map or receipt in the dark impossible. Also with chinese lights like the ultrafires, it's been very hit and miss. More so miss.

Might just ask a friend to build me one. He is definitely a flashaholic, but tends to like BIG lights.

:bumpit:

Just bit the bullet and ordered the Zebralight SC52.

Will be my third, and hopefully last for a long time AA/14500 light.

I'm going to be ticked if the longer keeppower protected cells don't fit into it.