Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Bad experience (so far) with yourlasers (formerly DX)

Just wanted to share my experience so far with yourlasers:

I ordered this 300mW 532nm Green Laser Pen (2*AAA), for 49.99$.

Now, I didn't realy expect to get a 300mW laser, and I was willing to settle for a 200 - 250mW.

What I got is a 100mW (peak) and 85mW stable laser (I LPMed it).

Very disappointed. It looks like they took a 100mW laser, put a sticker of 300mW on it and sell it as a 300mW with an additional charge, of course.

This is half scam, IMHO.

So I contacted them via their new system of "tickets" which means that you can't just email them, but you have to fill in some kind of form, in a preset category that matches the issue, and wait for their reply.

They promise that a "merchant will reply to customer queries within 2 working days".

I filed that "ticket" on friday (13.10.11). Haven't heard from them since then.

If I don't hear from them till the end of this week, I am gonna start chargeback proceedings with my CC company.

Last edited:

Jaseth

Yourlasers is the new website DealExtreme sells lasers through after Paypal cracked down on laser selling websites.

It sucks that the laser is underspec, but anyone who has any experience with DX would have expected it.
This is one of the problems when companies change names.

It's obviously a standard NewWish pen...

Why would EVER expect it to put out 200-250mW?!?! Maybe just IR if you remove the crystals...

300mW of green for under $50 no less?

No offense, but this isn't a bad experience, it's a stupid one.

Up next are you going to order a 10000mW off of some random chinese site and be surprised and disappointed when it's <200mW?

Newsflash ***EXTRA***EXTRA***: Chinese Crap-Ware Drop Shippers Lie, Read all about it, anywhere on LPF!

All in all, a 100mW laser for $50 isn't a great deal, but it's not a terrible one either imo.

Last edited:
Bad experience or stupid experience, this is still a SCAM.

No merchant is allowed to label a product as a 300mW laser and expect ppl to know they are getting much, much less (and probably with loads of IR), assuming that the bluffs of the laser pointer industry are common knowledge.

I admit that maybe I was a little bit naive with this purchase.

But still, I deserve my money back.

I quite agree with Infinitus, $50 for a 300mW green would of rang a few alarm bells with me tbh :/

I agree that you received a unit at 1/3 of the advertised power and therefore should get a refund. Expect them to offer coupons or items of equal value though.
In my opinion your motivations don't have anything to do with the product received. I am a bit offended at the comment "stupid" as it was applied, but everyone is entitled to their opinion so I will not dwell on it.
So if they offer you 1/2 your money back in coupons would you take it ? As pointed out a 100mw for $50 isn't too bad a deal. (Make them send you a proper label for it though !)
:na:

Bad experience or stupid experience, this is still a SCAM.

Agreed, but for a laser enthusiasts to fall for those claims, it's sort of akin to a currency speculator falling afoul of a nigerian money transfer scam, and then crying foul.

I quite agree with Infinitus, $50 for a 300mW green would of rang a few alarm bells with me tbh :/

Yup... that and also it's in a newwish pen, and off of two AAA's... 300mW or anywhere near it, just isn't happening. Absolute max these pens are capable of, in extremely rare cases, is ~200mW. Best one I ever LPMed was 176mW with about 50mW of IR.

Benm

They should refund it because the product just doesnt do what it says in the description.

On the other hand, there is no laser like this (2xAAA newwish-style pen) that can possibly produce a stable 300 mW at any price. For something producing in the order of 300 mW, expect a beefy 18650 powered laser with a price tag of $200.

They should refund it because the product just doesnt do what it says in the description.

And that's why I'm goanna insist on a full refund.

I probably would have kept it if it were outputting 176mW with about 50mW of IR.

The problem with demanding a full refund is they may want you to ship it back to them:(

Shipping a $50 laser to china is a losing proposition imo. See if they can give you a partial refund.

The problem with demanding a full refund is they may want you to ship it back to them:(

Shipping a $50 laser to china is a losing proposition imo. See if they can give you a partial refund.

Proposition ?? you probably meant proportion.:thinking:

Shipping it back to China is no problem for me since shipping fees in my country are very cheap. It'll cost no more than 8$ registered airmail.

More than that, If my claim is valid and I am eligible for a full refund, than they have to reimburse me for the shipping back costs as well.

^^^Losing proposition... meaning a course of action that will not benefit you.

I think it's an expression that probably didn't translate over for you.

$8 for registered airmail is great... from the US it would be $35.

Not all companies offer to refund return shipping, check ahead of time that they will.

UPDATE:

YourLasers (DealExtreme) sold me a green laser pointer which was labled 300mW for 50$. The actual output power of this laser is 80mW (100mW peak with unknown amount of IR). I didn't expect it to be 300mW for 50$, but 80mW for 50$?

I contacted customer service and asked to return it for a full refund since what I got is not what was advertised.

They demanded that I'll send them a video of the measurement process. I sent them screenshots of my LaserBee tests, they weren't satisfied with it. So I made a video.

Only then they offered partial refund. I said I want to return it for a full refund. They refused to a return and offered 40$ refund.

Under the circumstances and to avoid more of a hassle I agreed. I've been waiting three days and the money still didn't come back.

Today I finally saw a refund of 40$ from YourLasers (DealExtreme) in my credit card balance.

So bottom line is that I bought a 80 - 100mW laser with unknown amount of IR for 9.99$ and a lot of hassle.

Never gonna buy from them again.

webvan

Well that wasn't too bad of a deal then!

I just received a 100mW SD-303 from them. Nice build but it hardly looks 20x compared to my 5mW pen...maybe that one is overspecced. It does burn matches though so I guess it's at leat 80mW? Don't have anything to measure the output anyway so I'll have to settle for it.

Is it possible to get the output measured in electronics stores maybe?

Since I didn't know what would be the outcome of my interaction with them when I opened this thread, I labeled it as it is. But even today I still think it's a bad experience, because you don't expect a company to lie on the actual output power to such extent even though they will refund you eventually. Think of all the people who don't own a LPM and can't know they had been scammed.

To your question, it is not possible to get the output measured in electronics stores since they don't have the appropriate equipment, i.e. LPM.

But you can buy one from members here who make them. Contact forum members LaserBee and MarioMaster for further details.