Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Bad Beam Convergence with Yobresal Blue Ice?

I recently bought a 1.4W Yobresal Blue Ice from another forum member. Up close, its great, and it burns stuff instantly. But at any distance, the beam looks like a splatter instead of a dot. This is my first high power laser, but from what I think, it may be the lense/focus that is messing it up? Please Help.

At close range, its fine and looks great.
IMG_20121225_223410_670.jpg

At about 15-20ft, the dot already gets much bigger.
IMG_20130112_151401_063.jpg

At about 30ft, the dot is huge and its more like a splash. You can see blue on the walls right next to it. I don't think that is normal.
IMG_20130112_151631_154.jpg

And yes, I tried focusing at each distance. These pictures are at the best possible focus I could get. Any help would be great!

It's similar to that. I never knew that the blue lasers didn't produce fine dot. Thanks for the help. I'll probably just delete this thread and make a review instead!

I've been good friends w/ Yobrseal for years now, and any problems you ever have, please 1st bring it to his attention directly. He will quickly rectify the problem. Let's be a tad more subtle in our approach! Thanks;)

Might be worthwhile to just clean the lens, aside from that, at least from the pictures, doesn't seem like there is anything wrong with the dot.

It's not like he said anything bad about Yobresal or his laser, he was just wondering about the beam convergence because he didn't think it was normal.

I've been good friends w/ Yobrseal for years now, and any problems you ever have, please 1st bring it to his attention directly. He will quickly rectify the problem. Let's be a tad more subtle in our approach! Thanks;)

plexus

Welcome to the contemporary world of getting the most power out of a laser medium and beam geometry quality be damned. you think an M140 445 is bad, you should check out a mitsubishi 635 high output LD. even the current crop of 532nm DPSS laser designs have opted for more output and less beam quality than in the past. i guess with lasers becoming more popular and consumers just wanting more power, they figure they can compromise the beam quality for the power, its cheaper and people will buy them. this doesn't count really for the 445nm LDs because those are designed for projectors primarily where massive light output is more important than beam quality. at least you can get single mode 445s but you are looking at 100mw max.

I personally prefer a tighter, symmetrical less divergent beam over power. so i have been switching my collection over to such lasers. but, its true, its pretty fun to focus 2W 445 into a focal point and have fun with that.