Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Attaching wire to body of a flashlight

Im trying to get rid of the spring setup a host currently uses.
To do this I need to attach a wire to the body of the host (On the inside, but still accessible)
The hosts build material is listed as aluminimum aloy.

How would you recomend I go about doing this?

Drill a hole and tap it, then attatech the wire under a screw? (Never done this, dont own tools to tap a hole)
Use aluminum solder? (Dont have alu solder, my soldering iron is a 40w Weller, will it be enough)
Somthing that I am not thinking of?

Last edited:

In order to give you any bit of advice, a link to the host you have, or a picture would be required. Also, how you want to turn it on (existing switch or external switch, etc.)

If you are going to be bypassing the batteries that go in it, you could use an external switch and run wire through the tailcap. Just an idea since I have no idea what your host looks like.

Last edited:

jayrob

Im trying to get rid of the spring setup a host currently uses.
To do this I need to attach a wire to the body of the host (On the inside, but still accessible)
The hosts build material is listed as aluminimum aloy.

How would you recomend I go about doing this?

Drill a hole and tap it, then attatech the wire under a screw? (Never done this, dont own tools to tap a hole)
Use aluminum solder? (Dont have alu solder, my soldering iron is a 40w Weller, will it be enough)
Somthing that I am not thinking of?

More info needed...

What spring set up? You mean the tail cap spring?
Is it for a laser build?

With more details, and/or pictures as mentioned, people will be able to give you some advice on how you can make it work...

I'm going out on a limb assuming he means the spring on the driver, but that's going on almost zero information provided.

Either that or he wants to make it a side clicky, who knows.

Last edited:

rhd

1mm thick aluminum sheet metal. Cut a strip slightly shorter than the internal diameter of the host. Fold a 3 to 4 mm portion of the end over. Crimp it onto the exposed end of a wire. Use lots of strength so that the wire can't pull loose. Curl the strip of aluminum into a circle, and then position it inside the host such that its own tension holds it firmly in place.

This approach presumes that the inside of your host isn't anodized.

Last edited:
Sorry, meant to post a pic...
Im moding a flash light to be a laser host, the original LED assambly had springs on it,
Here is a pic:

I guess I could come up with a way to attach the old spring to my laser heatsink.

EDIT: to give you a little perspective, the battery is an 18650

Last edited:

jayrob

If it's a negative wire at the pill (very normal situation), then one method, is to pinch a wire between the edge of the contact board and the pill where the board is pressed into the pill.

Normally, the pill will have bare metal threads, contacting bare metal threads of the host... (path to battery)