Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Attaching aluminum heatsink to an Astral super drive

Can anyone tell me where would be the best place to attach a small aluminium heatsink to an 4.5 Amp Astral super drive ?

I use arctic alumina thermal adhesive and I attach to the flat top of the 8 pin chip same as we have done with the SXD
Note: Do not attach any metal to the big square inductor on the other side. :)
Also I like to thermally bond the top of the 8 pin chip to the aluminum case/body of my device for a longer duty cycle.

Last edited:
IIRC, these were made to be heat sinked from the bottom of the board. He used extra thick traces and a thinner board, but you need to isolate it from anything conductive. You can also just heat sink the chip with arctic alumina, but I believe the bottom of the board is the way it was designed.

Has anyone ever " heat sinked " as you say from the bottom of the board or thermally bonded a heat sink to this board from any edge ?

Also what do you mean by " bottom " ?

Is the bottom edge where is says Astral V or the input edge or the output edge or the top edge opposite of where it Astral V ?

Not being critical, just want to know. :)

The bottom is the unpopulated side of the board and yes, these have been heat sinked by attaching this full copper cladded side of the board. One needs to make sure the soldered input and diode terminals are isolated from the metal, but this driver was designed to be heat sinked in this manner.

The bottom is the unpopulated side of the board and yes, these have been heat sinked by attaching this full copper cladded side of the board. One needs to make sure the soldered input and diode terminals are isolated from the metal, but this driver was designed to be heat sinked in this manner.

Unpopulated side.........................are you thinking about the blackbuck8 ? It's backside is unpopulated but not this astral V
Here are a couple from my stock, as you can see both sides are populated.

My mistake. I have so many of astral's drivers and most of the higher current ones are only populated on one side that I thought this one was too.