Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Athletic Field Marking Laser (Just need point at opposite end)

stokes776

Hello,

Looking for some advice on marking an athletic field for Ultimate Frisbee. We do it by eyesight right now, laying down 4 cones at each endzone, roughly 75 yards apart.
It ends up looking kind of like a football field, with the cones just at the end zones. This is jut a rec league so we dont mark sidelines, that is done just be eyesight of the players during the game.

What I am hoping to use a laser for is to get those straight lines along the 1, 2, 3, 4 in the image above.
I could then use a framing square to move the laser to get the 90 degree correct for the other side.

What laser could I use that could give me an accurate dot at that distance in the daylight?
This would be just for a moment so we know where to place the cones.

Thank you!

This is a good opportunity for experimentation and engineering. I'm assuming you're open to this, as you haven't just purchased an off-the-shelf device. Start with a tripod, a square, and a dollar store pointer. But why is an electric device needed in the first place? And why a laser? Why not use a T shape mounted horizontally on a tripod or something like that? Is this making any sense, or do I need to go mspaint something?

stokes776

That is a good idea to just try. And I have thought of maybe even doing it in the evening with a weak laser point so I can get the field paint marks down. The issue is setting up four of these fields every week. Its a lot of running back and forth adjusting cones to try to be in a straight line.

We thought of using a rope, but a rope doesn't guarantee a 90 degree angle with the cone on the other side of the field.
Maybe if we add in the square

Using manual setup we end up with fields like this, with sidelines that are not parallel, and not equal in length (On the far left is a road, green Xs are trees).

Fixing them or getting them close is a pain, as each one is about the size of a football field, running the length of all of that to fix the cones is annoying.

That is a good idea to just try. And I have thought of maybe even doing it in the evening with a weak laser point so I can get the field paint marks down. The issue is setting up four of these fields every week. Its a lot of running back and forth adjusting cones to try to be in a straight line.

We thought of using a rope, but a rope doesn't guarantee a 90 degree angle with the cone on the other side of the field.
Maybe if we add in the square

Using manual setup we end up with fields like this, with sidelines that are not parallel, and not equal in length (On the far left is a road, green Xs are trees).

Fixing them or getting them close is a pain, as each one is about the size of a football field, running the length of all of that to fix the cones is annoying.

View attachment 65393
A laser beam won't help because a laser beam has the same function as a long length of rope or string without the advantage of knowing the length a rope or string has.
If I were doing this I'd by an oversized contractors protractor, some dayglow monofilament a super long tape measure and something to act as a stake to be hammered in place at the corners and a hammer.

Last edited: