Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Argon help needed please.

I bought a JDS Uniphase 2214-10SLPU Argon Laser and a SPECTRA PHYSICS ARGON ION LASER POWER SUPPLY 263-D03, both off ebay, and both without manuals and such. I have since then learned that a remote interface is required to get full output, but I read somewhere someone stating that they could get theirs to lase at idle w/o the remote by jumping some pins. Which pins are these, and where are they located. I plugged the laser into the power supply and switched it on briefly with no result. At the time the interlock key switch was in the off position. Since it did not come with a key, I picked it to the open position, but have not powered it on or plugged the laser in since. Not having the interlock on when it was plugged in means no juice whatsoever went to the laser, right? I also see that I need ducting and a fan to cool it. What size, type, or rating should the fan be? And is it standard ducting? Thank you for advice. I have used the search button, but every time I do...I end up with 100 tabs that I've opened and find myself 3 days later still reading through them. :thanks:

Attachments

• ar1.JPG
    ar1.JPG
    21.2 KB · Views: 189
  • ar3.JPG
    ar3.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 153
  • ar2.JPG
    ar2.JPG
    16.9 KB · Views: 150
  • ar4.JPG
    ar4.JPG
    12.6 KB · Views: 152
  • psu.JPG
    psu.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

GreenM uses a (noisy)wet/dry vac(you need to pull air thru the head) I use a small metal squirrel cage fan and a metal dryer hose.

Even with adaquate cooling these get quite hot and be very sure that the hot air coming out does NOT go back into the head.

also unless unplugged on SOME argons, the head still gets/stays warm--has enough power to stay warm. So after running the fan to cool own and after turning off and the head is not longer hot-UNPLUG it. A db25 plug with pot attached can be used for testing purposes to run them at idle and also turn them up.

A very nice JDSU RI(without LC displays) can be gotten off ebay for less than 100$. Dave had a post on it.

Some make their own-DIY. The Cadilac is the JDSU 2500- tells you both Amps and output. Mi-lasers (meridith) sells them on ebay - has several and atm a great price IMO

I have & like this one from Laser Solutioms, Inc $75 plus ship from Houston. I fashioned a case for it from a cassette box. (214)631 5273= to order LSI Argon Controller.

from their site...

.'LSI Argon Controllers
LSI / Argon Controllers / allows the user to monitor and control output power and tube current from the remote interface / compatible with Omnichrome and Uniphase 2111, 2112, 2113, and 2114 model power supplies / equivalent to the Uniphase 2501 remote interface controllers / has test points for a DVM to monitor the output power and tube current / SEVERAL AVAILABLE

Price US: $75.00 | View Images.......................Phone (214) 631-LASER (5273) Fax (214) 631-5274
or E-mail:info@lasersurplus.com.........

I will try to link my photos of this RI -..... http://laserpointerforums.com/members/hakzaw1/albums/laser-shots-hakzaw1/ .... which you can see at my public profile page/ albums-- five photos -4 mine- one from website-photos 4,5,7,8 and 13. = MarkT. made me new labels since then. nfs(mine that is)

Last edited:
GreenMechanic made be a (IIRC its called a 'dongle') db 25 plug with a pot on it that allows you to run at idle and increase to 'run' as well. here is a photo of it and my LSI RI with the much-improved lables thanks to Mark ..

He MAY be willing to either assist you in making your own or soldering the pot to your db25 for a fee plus return shipping. won't hurt to ask--

Attachments

• misc bird-dongle-LSI RI argon zoe danaparty panoramic 050.jpg
    misc bird-dongle-LSI RI argon zoe danaparty panoramic 050.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 200
Last edited:
Hey, that there looks like the solution I am looking for. I will pm him. Thank you. Will post some pics of my progress and results. Never seen the blue, I hope it's anything like the first time I made white.