Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

Are Robotic infantry / Robot police within a decade away ?

10 years? Nah. In our lifetime, maybe. In 10 years, I can definitely see some autonomous/semi autonomous law enforcement aid/assist robots coming into use. Drones replacing police helicopters for example. At least if it all goes cyber dystopia I'll have less moral issues destroying a robot than a human being XD (for legal reasons, this is satire)

Personally I'd prefer to see robots used for *actually* dangerous jobs like firefighting, I think the potential there for saving human lives both for victims and first responders to be huge there, and much less potential for things to go horribly wrong (firefighting robot isn't gonna misinterpret something and shoot/taze/mace someone)

I also like the idea of little snake/centipede-like robots that can slither/scurry through say a collapsed building and quickly find and pinpoint trapped people for rescue.

Sadly though, it seems like tech like that goes Military -> Police -> and then everyone else when really it should be the other way around.

I seem to remember that LOL! There was one video of a demonstration on stage of a humanoid robot trying to walk down a small set of stairs. Then suddenly it fell, hit the ground and broke, and they quickly closed the curtains and stopped the demo. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Yeah, some get close to that uncanny valley effect, like those anime maid robots that were being built for a fully robotic maid cafe. Responses have been everything from super creepy to super cute. :LOL:

Yup I think the stair fail was one of the bunch I saw. I remember one walking up 3 steps and then going off balance when trying to walk back down the other end and just fall , it was funny as heck as before it fell face first it was kinda rocking back and forth just like a human 🤣

Some earlier robots just couldn't make it more than a step or two! I kinda felt bad for them :giggle:
Al. part of research. They have come along way.
Time to watch that movie "I robot" again.

Climbing stairs is not a problem anymore, all the subroutines will be improved by AI and become ultra fast, it's going to be interesting and then frightening.
Robot boxing, oh yes.

• Wow
Reactions: GSS
Would be nice to have a robot that can cook and clean

Reactions: GSS
Yup I think the stair fail was one of the bunch I saw. I remember one walking up 3 steps and then going off balance when trying to walk back down the other end and just fall , it was funny as heck as before it fell face first it was kinda rocking back and forth just like a human 🤣

Some earlier robots just couldn't make it more than a step or two! I kinda felt bad for them :giggle:
Al. part of research. They have come along way.
Time to watch that movie "I robot" again.

rofl, Found this one from 2006. It seemed unsteady from the start, things have come so far in just that time. Love how they block the audience view with that screen as if it's a gruesome human injury just for a damaged robot lol.

Better to lose a robot dog than a human troop, doncha think ?

Back