Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Are red lasers more safe?

I was thinking of purchasing a red 300mwatt laser for using as an outside pointer at night. To point at sky sides of unoccupied buildings ect. I would not shine it at people cars airplanes ect.

Would a 390 Matt laser be ok outside or is it something that you should only use inside with eye protection .

300mW red is safe outside without eye protection as long as you don't point it at something close that will reflect it back in your face. Be careful how when and where you use it outside, shinning a laser of that power around outside isn't entirely legal and can attract attention to yourself, better a 300mW though than a 3W.

Alan

Rifter

You will be fine outside as long as you keep it off reflective surfaces. Don't use it inside without protection.

Bad advice is bad advice.

Wavelength (within extreme limits) is irrelevant to capacity for eye damage.

BUY GOGGLES. USE THEM UNTIL YOU KNOW IT IS SAFE TO REMOVE THEM.

Be careful how when and where you use it outside, shinning a laser of that power around outside isn't entirely legal and can attract attention to yourself, better a 300mW though than a 3W.

Alan

Don't perpetuate a falsehood. It's absolutely ok to shine a laser into the sky. The airspace overhead belongs to the federal government which has not to date enacted into law any law making it illegal.

oahu99

I think he was suggesting people will get the wrong idea if they see you shining a laser in the sky.
Also, I do believe that technically the use of a class 3b laser in public is illegal.
I wouldn't really consider his advice a "falsehood"...