Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Are my goggles working?

Droyd

I have a 120mw 405nm laser, and some goggles.

The goggles says it works for this type, but when I put them on and focus the beam to a pinpoint it still looks pretty bright.

In addition to OD#, what color do they appear? 405nm ones should look, at least, yellow. Some may appear orangeish as well.

They're probably cheap green blockers, meant for 532. I can't speak to how well they'll work but I know some have been tested and have showed some decent attenuation of 405.

Where did you get the glasses from?
Strongly recommend certified glaases.
405 will create fluorescense from many materials. You might be seeing some of that but you glasses could be bad for 405 too.

You could test your laser directly through the glasses. It would give you any idea if they are doing much at all but won't tell you if they are safe (w/o a LPM).
Find a piece of paper that gives bright fluorescense & fold it so it stands on its own. Shine your laser through the corner of the glasses onto the paper.
Hold your hand over the glasses & laser to be sure no reflection can hit your eyes. Also best to do outdoors & where you don't see any reflective objects around.

Last edited: