Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Are focusable lasers worth it?

AndyR

I was planning to buy a 50 mW focusable o-like green laser but I've been hearing on the forums that on cheap lasers the focusing ring won't actually make the dot smaller but can only make the dot larger.

Will the o-like focusable laser actually decrease the dot size, or am I better off buying a non-focusable laser and saving some $?

With most of the green focusable lasers, you do tend to loose some divergence.
This is understandable as the light is passing through extra optics.
If you want to burn things with your laser, then go for a focusable 532nm laser.
If you want to shine it down the street and have a nice small dot, go for a non focusable green.
Out of all the focusable 532nm I have, or have seen. They all have bad divergence, compared to standard greens.

if you want a good non-focusable, buy the ledshoppe 50mw.

there is someone on here selling a couple for 30 shipped.

i just got one and it is amazing.

Out of all the focusable 532nm I have, or have seen. They all have bad divergence, compared to standard greens.

I'm waiting for my focusable green laser and sincerely expected the opposite. Extra optics doesn't really explain divergence issue. Take beam expander for example -- it's extra optics too, but it doesn't make divergence worse.